Who do ya'll like to promote embryos/semen sales?

Help Support CattleToday:

wrightwayangus

Reaction score
So I'm wondering what folks on here have to say about different groups promoting their semen/embryos. I see a lot of ABS emails and promotions, but there are some others out there that I don't see a lot of. I think we have some very good bulls that we are trying to promote right now and wanting to get with someone who will work for us. I know that any group can sell semen for you even if you don't have your bull standing with them, but does that mean that they will promote your bull too? Let me know what ya ll think. Thanks everyone.

Genex is the only company that I see that regularly advertises and catalogs "Added Attractions" but the bull has to be collected by them.

the major studs pretty well stick to promoting the already promoted through their favored herds, select go to GAR and Wehrmanns, Genex go to Schaffs and Sitz, ABS go to Connealy, Origen is a private club, the market for beef semen is small compared to dairy so they will naturally move towards the already popular and ride the wave.

There's not much promotion involved when you have a good line-up to hand the customer. :D Usually when I hand a customer a line-up I just ask them what they want there cows to do a few years in the future and then give them a handfull of bulls to ignore based on what they've told me and if they are specific about their wants/needs, I'll guide them to bulls that best fit thier stated needs but there's no real "push" from me... The bulls HAVE TO sell themselves.
I think you'll find that if they are good enough to get onto an ABS or other major stud line-up by themselves you'll be rewarded well but if you have to push to hard and promote to get them there, they're not ready to be there. ;-)

Says on your website that Origen already collects and promotes one of your bulls. Are you not happy with the job they are doing? A lot of people would be content to have a bull with any of the major studs.

Circle H Ranch

The main sire aquisation manager for Genex...Chad Ellingson I read somewhere he is married to Kelly Schaff sister. So that might be a tick of why Genex was heavy on SAV bulls. In Genex's fall newletter what ever they said they acquired ABS's sire aquisation person Lorna Marshall.

Have you tried Cattle Visions? No clue if they collect, but they do promote lots of differnt operations.

Origen is a pretty good place Ive been told.

Amo":24tes8wz said:
The main sire aquisation manager for Genex...Chad Ellingson I read somewhere he is married to Kelly Schaff sister. So that might be a tick of why Genex was heavy on SAV bulls. In Genex's fall newletter what ever they said they acquired ABS's sire aquisation person Lorna Marshall.

Have you tried Cattle Visions? No clue if they collect, but they do promote lots of differnt operations.

Origen is a pretty good place Ive been told.

I could be mistaken, but I believe that Cattle Visions uses REI to collect. They do some collection at their facility, but REI houses the semen.

cattle visions also bought out Ken Barnhart's Angus Semen Service in VA, so they likely use North American Breeders at Berryville, VA.

cow pollinater":2idoojke said:
There's not much promotion involved when you have a good line-up to hand the customer. :D Usually when I hand a customer a line-up I just ask them what they want there cows to do a few years in the future and then give them a handfull of bulls to ignore based on what they've told me and if they are specific about their wants/needs, I'll guide them to bulls that best fit thier stated needs but there's no real "push" from me... The bulls HAVE TO sell themselves.
I think you'll find that if they are good enough to get onto an ABS or other major stud line-up by themselves you'll be rewarded well but if you have to push to hard and promote to get them there, they're not ready to be there. ;-)

I understand what you are saying. I didn't necessarily mean that you had to go out and do a bunch of pushing clients to use a bull, but I do think there is a difference involved in promoting. How else can a new bull get into the lineup if you don't show people his numbers and what he is about. We have been very fortunate to have a few of the bigger groups talk to us about some of our bulls because we have done well at some of the tests and bull sales. ABS has actually sold a fair amount of our herd sire and we were very grateful of it and wondering if anybody else out there was happy or unhappy working with anyone in particular. Working with Origen has been a work in progress largely in part I'm sure because this is our first time working with a big outfit like that. I sure appreciate everyone's responses; hope everyone is having a good fall.

I'm a little biased but if you're already in with ABS, STAY THERE! :D
I've dealt with every company that sells semen in California and ABS is heads and shoulders above the treatment that I've recieved from the other companies. There are good and bad people within any organization but since I moved my business to ABS I'm overwhelmed at the high quality of people they employ. They've been superb to work with.

I have to agree that ABS is the place to go. ABS also has got the best rounded out lineup.

Cattlevisions and bullbarn have bulls that you probably can;t find anywhere else, although most of them are available from various studs. At least you can find them on their website so if someone is looking they are at least shown

Latest posts