White Shorthorn bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

Interesting posts, I have always thought roans were pretty cattle. Have always heard that shorthorns make good cows, not had any experience with them, other than a feeder calf here and there. Not many around here now a days, when I was a child it was fairly common to see a few red or blue roans in fields.

Ky hills":21nzc46l said:
Interesting posts, I have always thought roans were pretty cattle. Have always heard that shorthorns make good cows, not had any experience with them, other than a feeder calf here and there. Not many around here now a days, when I was a child it was fairly common to see a few red or blue roans in fields.
The shorthorns are good cattle, just didn't like how the club calf/showring industry are doing to them and the commercial types are getting rare.

shortybreeder":1cy9p6uj said:
I've heard that white shorthorns help make deep red calves as well. But I have to disagree with tamaracks statement correlating white bulls to better cowmakers. The color really doesn't make any difference on performance... I can list great cowmakers of any color pattern in shorthorns.
I didn't mean that just white shòrthorn made better cowmakers just shorthorn breed will improve maternal spec on other cattle dont have to be white it is just a lot of comerical breeders prefer white or red in our neck of the woods.
The 2yr old is out of Einmore Chiefton 63 and yearling is Horseshoe Creek breeding out of thier Timeline bull.

tamarack":1e623t85 said:
shortybreeder":1e623t85 said:
I've heard that white shorthorns help make deep red calves as well. But I have to disagree with tamaracks statement correlating white bulls to better cowmakers. The color really doesn't make any difference on performance... I can list great cowmakers of any color pattern in shorthorns.
I didn't mean that just white shòrthorn made better cowmakers just shorthorn breed will improve maternal spec on other cattle dont have to be white it is just a lot of comerical breeders prefer white or red in our neck of the woods.
The 2yr old is out of Einmore Chiefton 63 and yearling is Horseshoe Creek breeding out of thier Timeline bull.

Have you ever had any issues with White Heifer Disease, or has that pretty well been eliminated from the breed?

Muddy":325gkov4 said:
Ky hills":325gkov4 said:
The shorthorns are good cattle, just didn't like how the club calf/showring industry are doing to them and the commercial types are getting rare.

I agree, I'm not a fan of what the club calf/ showring industry is doing to their cattle in general. I have always wondered why the show ring wasn't a reflection of functional, and productive pasture cattle.

I haven't heard of white heifer disease. As a breed, we've heard the complaints about what the showring has done, and many breeders are working to correct that. One recent trend has been to move towards "no fit" shows, which I feel will help bring more emphasis on productive functional cattle because you can't hide flaws or shape an animal with adhesives and hair. Out of curiosity, what do you guys think would help restore the image of the breed as a productive animal again? I'm trying to increase thickness in my cattle, while also reducing birth weights. It's a challenge, but I believe I've found some bulls capable of doing so. They're just hidden in the pastures of small herds with limited semen availability.

I'm almost 50 years old and we've had purebred shorthorns all my life. I've never seen a case of white heifer disease.

The shorthorn breed is like all other breeds in the fact that there are different types within the breed. You can find whatever you are looking for within the shorthorn breed, but you may have to search a little harder simply because there aren't as many of them as some other breeds.

If you are looking for commercially oriented shorthorn bulls here are links to our website and some you tube videos.

http://www.saskvalleyshorthorns.com/bullsale.html

https://www.youtube.com/user/whosyourdaddybull

Aaron":1ow1czxi said:
tamarack":1ow1czxi said:
shortybreeder":1ow1czxi said:

Have you ever had any issues with White Heifer Disease, or has that pretty well been eliminated from the breed?
I had never heard of white heifer disease till this spring . My ai man said he couldn't breed a white heifer cause he kept hitting a dead end. I was talking with another breeder and he told me look up WHD and that explains what happened.It wasn't out of a purebred cow or a white shorthorn bull . Just a white heifer out of crossbred cow butt my herd is mostly shorthorn.

turning grass into beef":vekbrq77 said:
I'm almost 50 years old and we've had purebred shorthorns all my life. I've never seen a case of white heifer disease.

The shorthorn breed is like all other breeds in the fact that there are different types within the breed. You can find whatever you are looking for within the shorthorn breed, but you may have to search a little harder simply because there aren't as many of them as some other breeds.

If you are looking for commercially oriented shorthorn bulls here are links to our website and some you tube videos.

http://www.saskvalleyshorthorns.com/bullsale.html

https://www.youtube.com/user/whosyourdaddybull
Can't go wrong with a Saskvalley bull for making beef.

We've been using solid red Shorthorn sires in our crossbreeding program for 7-8 years or so... out of programs known for 'commercial orientation' and 'performance/carcass'... no 'hairball' show stuff anywhere close up in the pedigrees of any of those bulls. Have been VERY pleased with the steer calves, and the females are just now coming into production in numbers sufficient to give me an idea how those SHxAN females are gonna work, with a red or black Simmental bull back over them... pretty good, so far...
I really think commercial cattlemen are missing something by not utilizing Shorthorns in crossbreeding programs... but I also recognize that you've gotta look long and hard, and often, far away from home to find good Shorthorns... when you can find Angus, Simmental, Gelbvieh, Herefords, etc., of pretty good quality right in your own backyard.

Lucky_P":2l8jt0zr said:
We've been using solid red Shorthorn sires in our crossbreeding program for 7-8 years or so... out of programs known for 'commercial orientation' and 'performance/carcass'... no 'hairball' show stuff anywhere close up in the pedigrees of any of those bulls. Have been VERY pleased with the steer calves, and the females are just now coming into production in numbers sufficient to give me an idea how those SHxAN females are gonna work, with a red or black Simmental bull back over them... pretty good, so far...
I really think commercial cattlemen are missing something by not utilizing Shorthorns in crossbreeding programs... but I also recognize that you've gotta look long and hard, and often, far away from home to find good Shorthorns... when you can find Angus, Simmental, Gelbvieh, Herefords, etc., of pretty good quality right in your own backyard.

We're doing a similar thing here, but breeding back to Char instead of Simm. We've been at it long enough that we have a number of females in production for a few years. IMO, if you can find the good commercial type Shorthorns to cross with, they make cows that are hard to beat. I'm lucky enough that there ARE a handful of breeders around the area that have the good working Shorthorn cattle that I am looking for.

Finding a good solid red shorthorn is like finding a needle in the straw pile here. Same with white shorthorns in United States.

In Minnesota, but most shorthorns I encountered are either club calf influenced or chromed up. Not many quality solid reds over here and I sold a small herd of chromed up shorties few years ago, decided that it's not worth to keep them in economically senses.

Latest posts