White Shorthorn bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

I've got several Charlois cows. I've always thought a whit shorthorn would add some hybred vigor, with no fear of roaning (pretty as roan may be).

White shorthorn + white Charolais= tan roans or tans (if both didn't have spotting gene).

Muddy":3ks9kmc4 said:
White shorthorn + white Charolais= tan roans or tans (if both didn't have spotting gene).

A doughnut without a hole is a danish.

bigfoot,
IIRC, white Shorthorns are homozygous for the roaning gene... so, you'd almost be assured of getting a roan if you bred one to a solid color cow...but, bred to a Charolais with the color inhibitor gene... I dunno what you'd get.

I've seen old-time SH breeders claim that if your red Shorthorn cattle were getting toward that more orange/pumpkin red color, that if you used a white bull... that it would restore that dark cherry red in subsequent generations. I dunno...

Lucky_P":2wi44vki said:
bigfoot,
IIRC, white Shorthorns are homozygous for the roaning gene... so, you'd almost be assured of getting a roan if you bred one to a solid color cow...but, bred to a Charolais with the color inhibitor gene... I dunno what you'd get.

I've seen old-time SH breeders claim that if your red Shorthorn cattle were getting toward that more orange/pumpkin red color, that if you used a white bull... that it would restore that dark cherry red in subsequent generations. I dunno...

It's an interesting analogy. I've had my share of Charlois bred to a LH bull, and had the same bull throw roans on solid cows. Never had a Charlois express roan. Could be a coincidence. It would be interesting to see what would happen, with a homozygous roan on a Charlois. The webs a big place. It's probably been done.

Muddy":3qcvqbfk said:
Bigfoot":3qcvqbfk said:
Muddy":3qcvqbfk said:

A doughnut without a hole is a danish.
Good to know, Bigfoot.

That's a line from a movie, that for the life of me, I can't remember the title to.

Most white charolais are homozygous red and carrying red factor. If a Charolais with a red factor were bred to a white shorthorn, you will always have tan roans. Roan in longhorns, however are different from white shorthorn since the roan in longhorns are not co-dominant and it's usually a 50/50 for them to express a roan.

I have bred some by ai to a red factor Charlois bull and red roan cows and get a dirty tan color i have a bull calf now will try to post a pic. I wrote a reply but cant get to post so will try this short one.

I only have 2 roans, a red and a tan. This is what I got out of the black blaze faced bull this year.

20160324_152257.jpg

20160321_161926.jpg

I have bred red shorthorn cattle to white shorthorn bull and get dark red calves. The white shorthorn bulls are cow makers they add milk,docile nature, and marbleing to whatever they are bred to . Most of my customers are ranchers with black cattle looking to make blue roan replacement heifers which are very popular here.The red roan cattle are a close second. If you are looking for dark red shorthorn it seems that there has to be a white one somewhere in the pedigree.

I've heard that white shorthorns help make deep red calves as well. But I have to disagree with tamaracks statement correlating white bulls to better cowmakers. The color really doesn't make any difference on performance... I can list great cowmakers of any color pattern in shorthorns.

Latest posts