white calves with black cows?

Help Support CattleToday:

boondocks

Reaction score
Howdy all,
Just got back from a trip to the western environs where some of you all are. Driving through Montana and Wyoming, we saw (from the car) several fields with many dozens of black cows with all-white (i mean bright 100% white) calves. No other cows (or discernable bulls) around.

What are these? We were very curious. i have never heard of a 100% white calf with a 100% black mama.

(Those wanting to hijack this thread with racial commentary (yes, i know a few were considering it), please don't).

Thanks!

I have mainly CharXs and some are pure black. I use a purebred Char bull and many times the black cows have pure white calves. A lot of times they are born grayish but turn white in a few months.

Charolaise bulls and Angus cows will give you white or grey calves. From a distance and in contrast to their black mothers even the grey ones will appear to be pretty white.

Sounds like Charolais X calves to me. British white is another possibility but with that size of herd it's unlikely for someone to use a British White bull on Angus cows.

Dave":17x9z27a said:
Charolaise bulls and Angus cows will give you white or grey calves. From a distance and in contrast to their black mothers even the grey ones will appear to be pretty white.
From what I understand, this cross is pretty common in Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, etc.

Son of Butch":yndm92ub said:
100% white = cannot be British White....they would have black ears
Not all British white has black ears or black legs. Some individuals may have less black pigment or no pigment. My sis' boyfriend raises a large commercial of British white momma cows.

With my Charolais bull, all the black cows have white calves and the red cows have red calves. Almost without exception. And while Charolais may not be the "best" breed, I just ain't never seen nothing grow like those CharX calves. ScaleMashers.

Another possibility... black 'recip' cows carrying and raising purebred Charolais embryo-transfer calves.

But, as others have indicated, a Charolais bull over black cows will often produce white or 'smoky' calves.

Lucky_P":14cumhc6 said:
Another possibility... black 'recip' cows carrying and raising purebred Charolais embryo-transfer calves.

But, as others have indicated, a Charolais bull over black cows will often produce white or 'smoky' calves.
That would be my bet too. I wonder why they moved from Hereford to Charlois in that country. Both good breeds but sure seems like some favor toward Charlois lately.

Thanks for all of the comments. I wondered if there could be Char in there, but the only Char-Angus cross I have seen was a smoky color, and these calves were snow-white. We did get a good look at them, as many were right by the fence and we slowed down to almost zero trying to figure it out.
Seems like a Char cross or recips (per Lucky) are the most likely scenarios.

At any rate, nice cows, and nice country, although the stocking ratios as we travelled thru MT, WY, and ND were eye-opening. The amount of irrigation going on (even though it was springtime) was also surprising.
Cattle with no shelter at all for many miles...made me understand why so many perished in ND in the blizzards a few years back.
We all (well, most of us) have challenging environments I guess--the challenges just vary.

I would guess char cross calves as well. I read somewhere that some ranches have moved to char bulls on all the cows that they don't want to keep replacements out of.

Black stock cows that Char bulls were put on. very common in they part of the world, even to some extent out here in Western Wy.

Latest posts