While I'm waiting on the vet's call

Help Support CattleToday:

TK

Reaction score
I have a 5yr Hereford cow due May-June that has a glob of white/cream colored infection on her tail from her vulva. Is this a possible uterine infection and what am I looking at as far as treatment? How does this affect the calf?

Hey TK did that vet ever call back? What was the diagnosis? Hope all was well.

He did call back and hopefully he can get out here today. I am going to move some panels and hopefully the chute so we have better working facilities. I'll post when I know more. Thanks for the help.

Here's what we found. Vet doesn't know where the infection is coming from, but 4-5 mo. fetus is alive. He didn't find any burst abcess or anything else. Gave long acting pen. and said watch her. Also looked at another 5 yr old cow. Without sending tests in not 100% sure but looks like cancer eye. He was surprised we saw it so quickly. She does seem to have it in both eyes about the same. Not cost effective to do anything drastic but maybe try some Xterra(?) ointment in eyes for 10 days then wait. I don't think the ointment is really made for cattle, I think horses. Will probably do the ointment to see if we can get her through calving and a few extra months to get the calf a start. Thanks, Vicky for your immediate help.

Latest posts