Which portable welder?

Help Support CattleToday:

True Grit Farms":30pgr5km said:
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/hobart-champion-elite-dc-welder-generator
Pretty good price difference between the Hobart and Miller. I'm just needing a good generator and can always use a portable welder. I'm leaning towards the Miller Bobcat because of the ability to add a spool gun for aluminum.
https://www.weldingsuppliesfromioc.com/ ... ygEALw_wcB

I have a miller and love it id suggest getting that the Hobart is made with cheaper parts but is good.

I use a 250 Bobcat. Pretty sure it's 13,000 watts or so. No complaints, but it's big. I'm having Zena 200 amp welders fitted to the batch of post drivers in production right now. Wouldn't help your generator needs any though.

I've had a Miller Trailblazer for about 10 years and no issues. If I had to buy one today I'd look at the Lincoln Eagle that Atwoods sells just looks like a good machine for the money. Can't go wrong with a Bobcat though.

True Grit Farms":1f84flv9 said:
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/hobart-champion-elite-dc-welder-generator
Pretty good price difference between the Hobart and Miller. I'm just needing a good generator and can always use a portable welder. I'm leaning towards the Miller Bobcat because of the ability to add a spool gun for aluminum.
https://www.weldingsuppliesfromioc.com/ ... ygEALw_wcB

Probably better off just buying the big Predator generator and using it to run a tombstone stick welder should the need arise.

Would be easier to transport, and a whole lot cheaper.

We have ~2000 hours on a Lincoln Ranger, did have to go back to the dealer once because it quit generating, but it was covered under warranty. Otherwise it's been fine.

I bought that machine about six months ago. No complaints . we only get it out for pipe fence where the welder runs all day non-stop. We have two Hobart 145s that ride on the trucks for building braces. If you don't need the ability to use the spool gun portable. It should do everything you need.

I like about 200 foot of cable in 50' sections with quick connects. You can add cable or take it away as needed. Sometimes you benefit from a long stinger side and a short ground etc...

Personally I bought a ranger 305g as my first portable. ( look at a trailblazer too) the red was was cheaper and I didn't want ac. But it allowed me to power other machines, lights, grinders, and weld. Smaw or gtaw. Oh and it's a lightweight machine. I got a great deal and have loved it. I bought an adapter from cruizer on this site so I can run a miller spoolgun of off it.
The only thing I would nt want to do although some people have, is run air arc off my machine.
Mainly I weld pipe, but have done everything from gates to buckets repairs hard surfacing aluminum boat repairs to powering my buddies dynasty so we could both tig weld at the same time, to running some 40 inch downhand

Silver said:
The oldest Lincoln you can find ( they have the best windings) and a good gen set.

Yup, my dad has a Lincoln graveyard at the house that he robs parts from to keep his old machine going. He says he likes the Miller Bobcats for their size, the generator, etc and for odds and ends it's fine. He says when you start welding these separators and real structural type stuff nothing welds like that Lincoln.

Brute 23 said:
Silver said:
The oldest Lincoln you can find ( they have the best windings) and a good gen set.

Yup, my dad has a Lincoln graveyard at the house that he robs parts from to keep his old machine going. He says he likes the Miller Bobcats for their size, the generator, etc and for odds and ends it's fine. He says when you start welding these separators and real structural type stuff nothing welds like that Lincoln.

I'll agree with that , but add that the newer Lincoln ranger series is a hunk of junk. Mine spent more time in the shop than on the job and i don't think I've heard anyone brag on them........kinda like John Deere....

Latest posts