which of the 2 heifers is the best

Help Support CattleToday:

BRYANT

Reaction score
One of these heifers I like pretty good and one I don't know about
heifer #1 out a F1 Bradford and reg. Angus bull
heifer #2 out of a gray Brahman cow and reg. Angus bull
both are calm easy to be around, #2 might could get ''fired up'' if you pushed her enough, but that's not a real concern to me I am equipped to handle them.
I know they are not what a lot of you all like but poor boys make do with what they have.

The pictures aren't fair, 2 different angles...from the angle taken #2 is the better one.
On #1 her front legs/knees are touching and I doubt she is that narrow chested in person.

If I was only keeping one of them it would be the second. She's a nice-looking heifer, and being an F1 should have more hybrid vigor than the three way cross.

Ill bite. Id take the first while you guys fight over the 2nd - I can see the attitude in her and I don't want it.

Kind of a toss up for me. I like the angles better on the blaze heifer. She has a nice top line and square hip, with plenty of femininty. She does look a bit tight in her heart girth and not as easy doing. The black has the advantage on overall mass and bone. She looks to have a good spring of rip and plenty of natural muscle expression. Just lacks a bit of heifer appeal for me. Overall, I think the blaze would pass judgement farther north, the black better for a market where more Brahma influence is preferred. Just my :2cents:

Supa Dexta":32qt20fs said:
Ill bite. Id take the first while you guys fight over the 2nd - I can see the attitude in her and I don't want it.

I don't see any attitude in that picture, but she probably wouldn't be happy in Canada anyway. :D

I kept them both as replacements , it took a few replies before someone saw what I don't like about one. I think the black F1 has more of a bullish look than I like, not femininity, I have a friend that messes with a lot of cattle and he says when they have that ,we call it a bullish look, that they are prone to not give much milk. Has any of you ever heard that or seen that to be the case. I guess I was not to concern because I kept her???

BRYANT":254yzym9 said:
I kept them both as replacements , it took a few replies before someone saw what I don't like about one. I think the black F1 has more of a bullish look than I like, not femininity, I have a friend that messes with a lot of cattle and he says when they have that ,we call it a bullish look, that they are prone to not give much milk. Has any of you ever heard that or seen that to be the case. I guess I was not to concern because I kept her???

I've heard that. And it may be mostly true. But I've got one cow that could pass for a bull w/ the exception of her plumbing. I don't like her at all as far as looks, but she raises a dang good calf ans calves every 10-10 1/2 months. So I keep her. ?

Bryant, I've never heard the correlation between lack of femininity and milk production. I have always heard though, that you want very masculine bulls bred to feminine (not frail, just more lady like) females. This is supposed to help ensure more desirable seed stock. Basically, you breed them to look like the sex they are, not androgynous, to get superior replacements. There is, however, a whole industry of club calf breeding that is pretty much all about mating these androgynous animals to get a freaky looking steer. I just prefer a bit more angularity in a female, but I know very little about Brahma influenced cattle, and others will have a different opinion.