Which heifer is in heat

Help Support CattleToday:

JHH

Reaction score
I have 3 heifers in the barn lot by themselves.1 is almost 2 an
ran with the bull Jan-may 8th.I would have thought that she was bred. also another that is 14 months old,and another that is 9 months old.my qeustion is the oldest one was walking around and very nervous and trying to ride the 14 month old is the oldest in heat or the 14 month old? The 14 does not stand like she is in heat.
P.S. the 2 yr old was injured the first of may,limping around dragging her front feet.Took her to the vet he said she hurt her self but did not know how.She has got better but I am betting that she is not bred.Took her away from bull because of injury.

Generally, if the one being jumped is not standing - it means two things. Either the one being jumped is coming in and not quite in yet - OR - the one jumping is the one coming in. There are other signs. The vulva will swell & look "shiney", there is usually clear discharge, they look "perky", bawl a lot, walk fenceline.
If she ran with the bull Jan thru May 8 - that was PLENTY of time for her to be bred, IF she was cycling. If she is small, maybe this is her first heat. Depends on what breed she is & how much she weighs. A British breed heifer will start cycling maybe around 500#??? continental 500-600#?? This varies a great deal so I really hate to put a figure on it. But maturity can be delayed a lot with lack of normal growth.
If she is grown out well, maybe she was pregnant & lost it.
Anyway, at two years old, she should already be nursing a calf.
I would have her palpated by a vet. He will let you know if she is pregnant, and if not, if she is sexually matured enough to breed.

The almost 2 yr old was bawling alot and was walking the fence.She should be big enough, not good at guessing weight but the 14 mth old was weighed at aprox 1 yr old and weighed
850lbs and the 2yr old is bigger than her by at least 300lbs I think!She is a horned hereford out of a 552 bull son.
Thanks for the reply.Have got lots of good info on this board.
When do you think 14 mth old will come in?

She should have been cycling for some time now. I expect them to start cycling anytime after 7-8 months. If not by 12 months, I would be having a vet check them in my herd.
She is definately big enough at 850#.
Yes, it sounds like your older heifer was definately in heat. At that size, she should have been bred by the bull.

Thanks for the reply Jeanne,think I will try to have oldest heifer A-Ied next cycle.Will have vet ck her and 14m old also.
The 14m should be cycling I would have thought?doesnt seem to be much change in her, but my dauaghter showed her in 4-h and she was a bottle calf also.Thanks again JHH.

Latest posts