Which breed makes a good pet?

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I'm a city girl moving to the country and I would like to get 2 calves to raise. I understand that dairy bull calves are inexpensive but I have also heard they don't live very long. Does it make more sense to get a beef breed? I'm not looking to sell them for profit, only to raise and keep. (We must maintain an AG Exemption on the 10 acres.) I would like to bottle feed the calves so I may not be able to get them until the spring in order to get them a day or so old because our house may not be finished in time for the fall births. Anyway, I'm researching it now. I'd like, of course, to have a docile breed. I looked at info on Angus, Belted Galloway, and British White, all listed as docile. Too expensive? Are there things that make these breeds less expensive such as markings or does it matter? Thanks for any info.

[email protected]

i also have 10 acres looking for an ag exemption.i bought 2 holstein/longhorn heifer calves from a local sale barn for $25 each.bottle fed them and raise calves off them.they are very gentle and are very good mothers.they calve in the spring and thier calves are ready to sell in the fall just in time for christmas. good luck

[email protected]

> If I were you, I would buy two healthy looking heifer calves at the local sale barn. Reguardless of breed, when bottle fed and messed with day in and day out, they will be gentle.

I'm a city girl moving to the
> country and I would like to get 2
> calves to raise. I understand that
> dairy bull calves are inexpensive
> but I have also heard they don't
> live very long. Does it make more
> sense to get a beef breed? I'm not
> looking to sell them for profit,
> only to raise and keep. (We must
> maintain an AG Exemption on the 10
> acres.) I would like to bottle
> feed the calves so I may not be
> able to get them until the spring
> in order to get them a day or so
> old because our house may not be
> finished in time for the fall
> births. Anyway, I'm researching it
> now. I'd like, of course, to have
> a docile breed. I looked at info
> on Angus, Belted Galloway, and
> British White, all listed as
> docile. Too expensive? Are there
> things that make these breeds less
> expensive such as markings or does
> it matter? Thanks for any info.

All the responses are right. No matter the breed if you handle daily they can all be gentle. I missed where you are from but your region may help you decide. Also beef or Dairy? If you are in a warmer climate then consider Brahman cattle or if in colder climate, with access to good feed look at Herford or Dairy. And get heifers vs steer or bull calfs. You may want to grow your herd even if you are just interested in the Ag Exemption.

[email protected]

Latest posts