Where to Sell Pregnant Recips

Help Support CattleToday:

Phil A.

Reaction score
I need a bit of help. We do quite a bit of ET synchronization and work as a cooperator herd for a another operation. We have gotten our selves fairly long on Cows and would like to sell 10-15. We would like to sell these cows carrying the embryo of the buyers choice. So we want someone who will bring eggs put them in our cows. We will then keep the cow and you will come pick her up with a 90-120 day guaranteed pregnancy in her. Many of these cows currently have ET calves on them so we can not let the cow go at this time as she has to finish her job until say Sept/Oct of this year.
I have not been able to find anyone who would be interested in this type of opportunity. We are in Ohio if that matters. So the question is where do I advertise this opportunity to find some interest?

Phil A.

I take it you want to do the ET work. You will have to target that market.

True Grit Farms":14vfifks said:
elkwc":14vfifks said:
I take it you want to do the ET work. You will have to target that market.

That's not the way I read it.

TG I read it in a hurry. Went back and reread it. If I understand it they want someone to come to their place and put the eggs in and they will keep them 90-120 days. My first thought was that they would put them in after you brought the eggs.

Maybe they will come back and clarify for sure what they are wanting. It still wasn't clear to me exactly.

I am willing to do all the work to get the eggs put in. A certified technician will do the implanting.
These cows are 3-10 years old. Most of these cows have been used multiple years as recips. Most of the recips have ET calves on them at this time so I can not just haul to town and sell them. I was just looking for a different way to add value to pregnant cows that will need to be sold in the fall. The current cooperator herd we work with is not interested in buying any as they are maxed out on animals as well so I am simply looking for an alternative.

Last year we had some where around 65% of the eggs we implanted result in a live calf.

These cows weigh in the 1350 range and are Angus or CharxAngus cows. They will be able to punch out a decent calf and raise it well.

My embryologist today was telling me he needs $2500 a cow just to make a $200 profit! That is actually about average for a pregnant recip, since he has all the money in board, feed, and sync drugs. He buys them open, gets them set up, and puts the egg in. IF they conceive, you buy them for $2500.
You do not get involved in that level without knowing the cost... it is part of the business. Thankfully, we BUY embryos, and put them in OUR cows so we only have the expense of the embryo plus the implantation. IF the cow does not take an embryo, we just AI her....

Fire Sweep Ranch":pd7d3c61 said:
My embryologist today was telling me he needs $2500 a cow just to make a $200 profit! That is actually about average for a pregnant recip, since he has all the money in board, feed, and sync drugs. He buys them open, gets them set up, and puts the egg in. IF they conceive, you buy them for $2500.
You do not get involved in that level without knowing the cost... it is part of the business. Thankfully, we BUY embryos, and put them in OUR cows so we only have the expense of the embryo plus the implantation. IF the cow does not take an embryo, we just AI her....

That's cheap, you need a cow that can raise a top notch calf before you even think about making a recip out of her.

Latest posts