Where to buy - Where to sell - Irish Newbie

Help Support CattleToday:

Eire

Reaction score
Hello Cattletoday Group

I also have 57 good costal pastures in Avery TX and want to run some cattle on it. Being from Ireland I have no idea as to the way things are done here in the USA regarding the ranching/farming of cattle so I'm hoping to learn the basic difference. I was raised on a small 100 acre farm back in Ireland so I am well up to scratch as to the raising of beef back in Ireland but not in the USA.

I know that there are many factors to my questions but I'm trying to get some idea as to what would be the better way to go regarding the use the 57 acres, would you raise cow and calf? or would you raise steers?

Considering that the 57 acres are excellent costal bottom grade land, how many steers or cow and calf would you think that such land would hold.

Where would you typically buy your steers from?

How long would you advise to hold on to the steers before considering selling them?

Where would be the better place to sell your steers, sales barn, feedlot etc...

Please forgive my many questions but I just have no idea as to how things are done in the cattle industry here in the USA.

Are there any fast track courses where a person could get up to scratch on the basics of raising steers or cow and calf?

What magazines would you recommend I get?

Thank you for your time and again sorry for the many questions.

All the best

Ray

Ray, Not being from Texas, I'll take the 5th. As for Magazines, Cattle Today, Gulf Coast Cattleman,Progressive Farmer, Sucessful Farming, and there's a lot more. Join a local Cattlemen's Association,State Association, get to know your neighboring farmers and ranchers., the list goes on. I know you'll get lots of help from the board here. You'll find some A-1 Mentors here. Good Luck and welcome aboard.

welcome, i am of irish- indian descent myself. you could buy feeder calves at a local sale barn & keep them til they are 7-800 lbs, then resell to a feedlot or thru a salebarn. being a computer man you can find a lot of info on the net, even get some mags free as samples

I have to tell you that I am well impressed with the amount of information/content that there is here in this forum. I have been searching for weeks on the kind of information that related to my questions and it's all here, amazing stuff.

really looking forward to reading the many postings.

Again thank you guys for the prompt response.

Ray

jerry27150":2rkrznvp said:
you could buy feeder calves at a local sale barn & keep them til they are 7-800 lbs, then resell to a feedlot or thru a salebarn

jerry27150, what is the average weight and cost of a feeder calves?

i would buy between 400- 550. try to get a uniform lot so you can sell them all at the same time. don't know what the price is right now but was from 1 dollar to 1.25 a lb. depends on color & how good they look

jerry27150":3d6movc3 said:
i would buy between 400- 550. try to get a uniform lot so you can sell them all at the same time. don't know what the price is right now but was from 1 dollar to 1.25 a lb. depends on color & how good they look

I wouldn't buy right now.....it is a sellers market. Learn more and plan. Prices will go down.

Welcome to the boards,,,great to have another Irishman amongst us poor farmers and ranchers.

Wewild my be right, it is a sellers market right now, and is hard to say whe nthat will change............hopefully never! :D

Make friends with your local producers, they can help point the way toward what production methods work best in your area. plus you will often have several offering to help you start your herd. I would always advise to purchase cattle by private treaty, especially when you are first starting. Builds good realtionships too!

Good Luck! may you have the luck of the Irish with you! :cboy:

Eire, welcome. A couple more good magazines would be Beef and Drover's. As to raising cattle in Texas, don't know, I'm in Va. But there are many Texans who post here who could be of help.
As others have stated, right now it is definietly a seller's market, tough time to be buying.
Steers can be bought at the salebarns. I run cows and calves, so I'm not well versed in running steers. If you choose the cow/calf option I have found buying private treaty to be the best way for me. You may pay more for your stock private treaty, but you will/should be getting some kind of history/record with them and a person you can go back to if you have a problem with the stock. Many people also do well buying cows at the markets/salebarns.
Getting to know the people in your area and how they run their operations will help you out alot as well as giving you good contacts.
Good luck and enjoy.

Katherine

Eire":1c8rgvib said:
My name is Ray Delaney and I am from "Ireland" now living with my young family in Denton Texas.

I also have 57 good costal pastures in Avery TX and want to run some cattle on it.
Sorry to have to tell you this, Ray. And this is only my opinion---others will disagree. But, if you live in Denton, you really don't need any cattle in Avery. At least, not if all you can run is 57 acres worth. I'm sure you already know this, but that has got to be close to a three hour trip one way.

Did you negelect to tell us some of your plans that might make me reconsider? Such as plans to move to Avery? An on-site caretaker who is both trustworthy and will work for free? A source of free gas? Plenty of discretionary travel time on your hands? If not, sounds like a losing proposition to me---both for you and the cattle that might need you someday. Welcome to the Boards, however. Good luck!

Welcome to the Forum Eire.
I would suggest the same as amny others have done here. Get involved in your local Farmer or Cattleman Organisation. Get to know the Farmers and Ranchers around your place. Hang out at the stockyard and observe. And finally when you ready to buy cattle do so from the Farms and Ranches around you this builds Friendships.
A few months ago I was in the same shoes as you are now. I reseived a lot of support and advice from the farmers around here and then I got my livestock from them too.
I do not know what your land looks like and therefore it is difficoult to advice on cattle and what you should do. Here where I am Hereford do very well.

Good Luck

Swiss Cowboy :cboy:

Hello all

You all have been fantastic people in your many responses to my postings, again thank you!! your a great bunch!

Texan":1tso20ki said:
Did you negelect to tell us some of your plans that might make me reconsider? .

I'm sorry Texan, yes I should have broken it all down into fine detail, that way you'll have a better understanding as to what my intentions are.

Such as plans to move to Avery?.
Yes I am considering moving my young family to Avery TX, I wouldn't be getting into or aquiring any stock until I am there myself.[/quote]

At least, not if all you can run is 57 acres worth.

I know it's such a small acrage and this is why I was just trying to find out what would be the better way to utlise such a small acrage and this is why I came to this board because I'm not up to scratch as to the way things are done or would be done here regarding this situation here in the USA, with cow and calf or steer operation etc...

A few people that I have bumped into have said!! to small for cattle better to go with meat goats, but to make any sort of profit with the meat goats one has to run a herd of 300-400 and even then it seems that the profit is very little.

Again getting back to
At least, not if all you can run is 57 acres worth.

At this point I am also trying to figure out as to how many acres I would need to make any sort of a good enough return on my cattle, not looking for to be a million air or anything like it (even though that would be nice) what I would like to do is maybe have the operation pay for groceries, home utilities and a little extra to put by for my kids. not asking for much, just a better clean life for my children and earn enough to be able to live the country lifestyle.

I just didn't want to move my family to the 57 acres, set up home and find out that we are al eating peanut butter and jelly 3 years down the road. want to be able to just get by and live like everyone else in a small town community.

But in sayng that another option would be that I could also purchase 100 acres if it would mean that this is what I would have to do in order to reach my main goal.

I must stress to the group, that you are not just helping a guy who wants to get into cattle business but rather a family that is trying to make the right decisions for their young family!!

Tomboy":1tso20ki said:
What kind of cattle did you or you family raise back in Ireland?.

Hereford and Hereford Cross also a rural hardened Black White Face

I still do not get it - you planning to work out? Got a job waiting for you? Have a bunch of cash in the bank?

I would hope so - there are not many - if any operations that can subsist on your size of ground.

Better to raise a couple of calves for local beef and one for your freezer.

Be happy if the costs are covered by the one or two extra animals and you get the meat for your own freezer for free.

I personally would be surprized if it got any better than that.

No real profit in animals until you get some volume or go pure - then you MIGHT make some money on breeding stock - a long developmental process.

Forget making money on your ground - plan on free meat for the family. any extra is now gravy.

Bez

sounds like you have a good job. i would just say everyone i know started small & grew. never be afraid to try your dreams , when you lose this ability you may as well be dead. lord always helps those that help themselves and tries to be happy. not trying to push you, but people told me i could never make a living farming my whole life. i am 55 & have never done anything else & i never went hungry & raised three sons. you have to use your head & push figures lots of times. you only go thru here once & it is a short time. do what you wish. good luck in all your adventures

Latest posts