Where should we move to???

Help Support CattleToday:

TexasBred":2jouwxsa said:
Central Texas.... Waco area and 50 miles around it. Got about anything you want. Waco is about 100,000 folks...all neighboring communities are small 500---3000 people. No state income tax in Texas and cost of living is very reasonable.

Easy there TB... we don't even know how he votes yet. We don't need any more librocrats.

bird dog":10r2r8nf said:
Interesting question southerngentleman. What do you consider "cheap land" and "good acre to cattle ratio"? The original poster Torogmc wants something better than 4 to 5 acres per animal unit. In Texas and New Mexico it can be anywhere from 4 to 200 but probably averages around 8 to 10. In my opinion, the area around where Cross 7 is, is some of the best bang for the buck.
Where are you at now?

Farther east land prices go up but stocking rate goes up.
Buy in on a per cow basis is cheaper.
More trees, hills, water but lots more people too

bird dog":7bjt7kin said:
Interesting question southerngentleman. What do you consider "cheap land" and "good acre to cattle ratio"? The original poster Torogmc wants something better than 4 to 5 acres per animal unit. In Texas and New Mexico it can be anywhere from 4 to 200 but probably averages around 8 to 10. In my opinion, the area around where Cross 7 is, is some of the best bang for the buck.
Where are you at now?
Cheap land I was thinking no more than a few thousand per acre. Ideally $2,000 or less. Seems land has gone up a lot recently. I might add that it'll be a few years before I purchase the land as I am still saving up money but just trying to start my due diligence. of course by then who knows how much more land will be. probably more.

4 to 5 acres per animal unit seems reasonable enough, would certainly prefer the lowest I could go.

will be hard to find both cheap land and good stocking ratio though... especially if I plan to stay in Texas. I am looking from Texas to Arkansas to Tennessee to North Carolina and in the states south of those. although I may have to look more up North.
I'm starting to gather.

:deadhorse:

I apologize for the hijack OP. let me know if you are bothered and I can start a new thread. :dunce:

Cross-7":1hv7hlur said:
bird dog":1hv7hlur said:
Where are you at now?

Farther east land prices go up but stocking rate goes up.
Buy in on a per cow basis is cheaper.
More trees, hills, water but lots more people too
are you talkin bout Arkansas? or even further East Okie than you are?

Not sure about Arkansas, but eastern Oklahoma and when when I was in NE Oklahoma you could buy in pretty cheap in SW Missouri

No apologies needed SG, go right ahead. Just good to know i'm not the only crazy out there spinning their globe picking a new spot with their finger LOL

Farm Fence Solutions":1oazc68z said:
BFE":1oazc68z said:
Farm Fence Solutions":1oazc68z said:
It is against our Indiana state constitution to take on any debt. We also never have a state budget, since we don't buy it if we can't afford it. Last I heard, we had a surplus of a couple hundred million, and reserves over two billion. Hopefully we can afford to buy Illinois with our savings some day when the last of their leaders go to prison.....except for Chicago and East St. Louis. Indiana would look good with more waterfront property. :cowboy:
Laugh all you want, but that would be the best thing that ever happened to us. In our area, all but one of the major factories have shut down, but you go across the river and Indiana's manufacturing is thriving. To make up for the lack of jobs, the Illinois legislature just raised state taxes by 32%! :bang:

Laughing? I was serious. :banana: Unemployment is effectively zero around here....Anyone who wants a job, has one.
http://www.navigatorjournal.com/news/ar ... 23522.html

This is an editorial from the local paper. FFS, you're not the only one who is serious!

BFE":3sr3j4wf said:
Farm Fence Solutions":3sr3j4wf said:
BFE":3sr3j4wf said:
Laugh all you want, but that would be the best thing that ever happened to us. In our area, all but one of the major factories have shut down, but you go across the river and Indiana's manufacturing is thriving. To make up for the lack of jobs, the Illinois legislature just raised state taxes by 32%! :bang:

Laughing? I was serious. :banana: Unemployment is effectively zero around here....Anyone who wants a job, has one.
http://www.navigatorjournal.com/news/ar ... 23522.html

This is an editorial from the local paper. FFS, you're not the only one who is serious!

Very interesting. I'd love to see them pull that off.

I would too. I think most of the rural areas in the state would like to divorce Chicago and Springfield, not just the southern third. I know the southern third would in a heartbeat.

UPDATE:

Well, this whole situation has gotten real interesting. We ended up visiting N. Kentucky this weekend. Saw some good, saw some bad. But it only takes one property, and that one, was right up our alley. Barn even had a full working system, tub and all. And compared to everything else we looked, the pasture was 98% cleared, recently fenced, and not as dramatic as terrain as the others, but still breathtaking (especially comparing to Illinois, LOL).

And of course, I had told the wife to be patient, and wait to see if she gets a call back for an in person interview, before we go looking and "scouting". But I was trying to keep her happy, and gave in. We came back early Monday morning, and of course, they call her today for an interview, for next week. Yup, I called it :nod: :bang: :bang: :bang:

There's still a lot of hurdles to climb and decisions to be made. This is going to be a tough one ........

Thank you all again for your help and input, to be continued .....

Justin

torogmc81":2uc19iin said:
UPDATE:

Well, this whole situation has gotten real interesting. We ended up visiting N. Kentucky this weekend. Saw some good, saw some bad. But it only takes one property, and that one, was right up our alley. Barn even had a full working system, tub and all. And compared to everything else we looked, the pasture was 98% cleared, recently fenced, and not as dramatic as terrain as the others, but still breathtaking (especially comparing to Illinois, LOL).

And of course, I had told the wife to be patient, and wait to see if she gets a call back for an in person interview, before we go looking and "scouting". But I was trying to keep her happy, and gave in. We came back early Monday morning, and of course, they call her today for an interview, for next week. Yup, I called it :nod: :bang: :bang: :bang:

There's still a lot of hurdles to climb and decisions to be made. This is going to be a tough one ........

Thank you all again for your help and input, to be continued .....

Justin

We might be neighbors!

Dont come to Texas. No offense. Trying to get a petition started to get starbucks banned from the state and we are getting overpopulated. :D

Latest posts