Where should we move to???

Help Support CattleToday:

dun":2cnrkcy9 said:
Where ever you look, check the politics of the state and area before deciding. While it may not seem all that important, when people with an agenda that is totally contrary to yours take charge, you will want to leave
You're absolutely right, we've been looking into that as well. So if anyone has any insight on states, especially KY, TN, OH, IN, AR, it'd be great to know what's cooking.

torogmc81":2vudw7kh said:
dun":2vudw7kh said:
Where ever you look, check the politics of the state and area before deciding. While it may not seem all that important, when people with an agenda that is totally contrary to yours take charge, you will want to leave
You're absolutely right, we've been looking into that as well. So if anyone has any insight on states, especially KY, TN, OH, IN, AR, it'd be great to know what's cooking.

It is against our Indiana state constitution to take on any debt. We also never have a state budget, since we don't buy it if we can't afford it. Last I heard, we had a surplus of a couple hundred million, and reserves over two billion. Hopefully we can afford to buy Illinois with our savings some day when the last of their leaders go to prison.....except for Chicago and East St. Louis. Indiana would look good with more waterfront property. :cowboy:

dun":z9ce8x72 said:
You're right... he's coming from Illinois. He may have to move to Massachusetts to find what he is accustom to. :)

Farm Fence Solutions":2r6mclon said:
torogmc81":2r6mclon said:
dun":2r6mclon said:

It is against our Indiana state constitution to take on any debt. We also never have a state budget, since we don't buy it if we can't afford it. Last I heard, we had a surplus of a couple hundred million, and reserves over two billion. Hopefully we can afford to buy Illinois with our savings some day when the last of their leaders go to prison.....except for Chicago and East St. Louis. Indiana would look good with more waterfront property. :cowboy:
Laugh all you want, but that would be the best thing that ever happened to us. In our area, all but one of the major factories have shut down, but you go across the river and Indiana's manufacturing is thriving. To make up for the lack of jobs, the Illinois legislature just raised state taxes by 32%! :bang:

wacocowboy":2v07pmqn said:
https://waco.craigslist.org/grd/6204169644.html

I've been keeping my eye on this place would love to have it.
I've only been to that little community a couple of times over the years but it looks like a great place to live. Just something "good" about it.

TexasBred":1x3i23dh said:
wacocowboy":1x3i23dh said:

I've only been to that little community a couple of times over the years but it looks like a great place to live. Just something "good" about it.

I don't know about now but there was some drug problems in Mart. They also have a youth prison lol. There are a lot of good people in that area. Some good high school football.

BFE":3v80x7i8 said:
Farm Fence Solutions":3v80x7i8 said:
torogmc81":3v80x7i8 said:

Laugh all you want, but that would be the best thing that ever happened to us. In our area, all but one of the major factories have shut down, but you go across the river and Indiana's manufacturing is thriving. To make up for the lack of jobs, the Illinois legislature just raised state taxes by 32%! :bang:

Laughing? I was serious. :banana: Unemployment is effectively zero around here....Anyone who wants a job, has one.

La Crosse Wisconsin pop. 50,000
I passed through a village in Wi. with a population under 400 with 4 bars all in a row... can't remember it's name.
Thinking... they must have very competitive Happy Hours.
But there are a lot of other tiny towns in Wisconsin with multiple bars too.

Farm Fence Solutions":3er8qch1 said:
BFE":3er8qch1 said:
Farm Fence Solutions":3er8qch1 said:

Laughing? I was serious. :banana: Unemployment is effectively zero around here....Anyone who wants a job, has one.

walk in hiring on the spot here at about a dozen places. 16-30 / hr, 100% insurance paid, vacation, etc..

Paying 18 bucks an hour to drive brand new cars into rail containers.

can't get anyone to work.

ddd75":2vp9d0h2 said:
Farm Fence Solutions":2vp9d0h2 said:
BFE":2vp9d0h2 said:
walk in hiring on the spot here at about a dozen places. 16-30 / hr, 100% insurance paid, vacation, etc..
Shows you the type of neighbors you'll have if you move to Kentucky.
Seems to be another strong reason to choose Indiana or South Dakota.

Son of Butch":t5vgtcis said:
ddd75":t5vgtcis said:
Farm Fence Solutions":t5vgtcis said:
Shows you the type of neighbors you'll have if you move to Kentucky.
Seems to be another strong reason to choose Indiana or South Dakota.

I've lived in three states, and right there ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ they are. Good, hard working people everywhere. Azzholes everywhere.

TexasBred":ttk7c1nk said:
wacocowboy":ttk7c1nk said:

Mart is okay. Not much there. Groesbeck is about 15 miles to the east and has most everything you need including a sale barn though I didn't care for it. My previous ranch that I sold last June is about 8 miles northeast from Mart. Lots of good folks in the area. Most of the flat areas are row cropped. The rolling areas are cattle places. There are a couple real large land owners in the area including the Mormon church who bought the the 40K acre Tippi ranch a couple years ago. My place was mostly bottom land that flooded a couple times a year and sold for about $2250/acre. It had a small livable cabin and a large new barn but also had some acreage that was unusable and a shared driveway. The bottom land put out a lot of grass. Make sure you get a survey. My place had fences a ways a way from the property line and bordered one small tract where ownership was unknown. The shared driveway was also a mess when it came time to establish ownership. All the old timers knew it went with my place but there was no record of it at the courthouse. Took awhile to straighten that out.

wacocowboy":3a1oh9sm said:
TexasBred":3a1oh9sm said:
wacocowboy":3a1oh9sm said:

I don't know about now but there was some drug problems in Mart. They also have a youth prison lol. There are a lot of good people in that area. Some good high school football.
Didn't know about the prison. All I ever seem to hear or read about is Marlin. Sounds like a real shythole. Haven't been there in ages but am told it's almost a ghost town.

TexasBred":2r77labe said:
wacocowboy":2r77labe said:
TexasBred":2r77labe said:

Didn't know about the prison. All I ever seem to hear or read about is Marlin. Sounds like a real shythole. Haven't been there in ages but am told it's almost a ghost town.

Yep Marlin is a dump. Only thing good is the feed store.

Interesting question southerngentleman. What do you consider "cheap land" and "good acre to cattle ratio"? The original poster Torogmc wants something better than 4 to 5 acres per animal unit. In Texas and New Mexico it can be anywhere from 4 to 200 but probably averages around 8 to 10. In my opinion, the area around where Cross 7 is, is some of the best bang for the buck.
Where are you at now?

Latest posts