Where have all the acres gone ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
Sounds like some decided not plant unprofitable corn this spring. A bit of a surprise, especially with the recent history of Trump checks.

Not sure what took corns place? It was not soy beans. In the north - - we are seeing a little more small grains and hay in the rotation. What are you seeing in your area?

Some are making a go with sunflowers again this year. The field is along side of I35. The farmer could make way more money if he could charge all the folks stopping to take selfie pictures. It worse than when the Bluebonnets are at their best.

bird dog said:
Some are making a go with sunflowers again this year. The field is along side of I35. The farmer could make way more money if he could charge all the folks stopping to take selfie pictures. It worse than when the Bluebonnets are at their best.

I was on my way to visit my sister in Lubbock one year. Once on the Caprock I was driving along and came upon this enormous field of sunflowers growing like crazy....in July-August time line????? As I passed I saw the Ford Industrial engines running irrigation pumps and little canals of water. Was a very odd sight when everything around it was dead.

When I was in high school and younger we literally hunted a couple hundred thousand acres of farm and ranch land. Most of it started as being brought in for the corn fields but it would evolve in to hunting the whole properties. Quite a few of the fields we use to hunt are just pasture land now. The die hard corn guys are actually planting milo now. I've seen more milo down here this year than I have ever seen.

Been meaning to ask a good friend that farms but we always end up talking about some other nonsense and I forget.

Sunflowers were a brief fad here, but you seldom see them anymore. There are some in ND.

Hay acres have been dropping for decades, but the trade war may spur a limited comeback. I will be planting some alfalfa again next year.

Here it is all hay or pasture. The same hay and pasture it has been for years. It has been decades since a new house was built on a new site. There are lots of old houses falling down that need a match. The only new house to get built is on the site of an old shack they tore down.

There are quite a few in eastern Arkansas planting peanuts now. A family that was in the cotton gin business opened a huge peanut processing plant over there. Quite a bit of milo also. Rice used to be big in eastern Arkansas but not as much as it is very labor intensive so price has to be good. Used to be when I was a kid all the row crop farmers planted winter wheat but there are very few acres in wheat anymore.

Latest posts