When to Vacinate.

Help Support CattleToday:

kaneranch

Reaction score
I need to know a little about vacinating. My cows are due to calve in september. Is it going to hurt them to vacinate them while they are pregnant. They havn't been worked since this time last year, is that overdue???

I usually work em in the spring and fall. March or April and again in Sep or Oct. This time of year going to need to workem early in the morining as hot as it gets during the day.

I vaccinate mine when they are pregnant and it doesn't seem to hurt them. Know lots of others that do the same. I'd be more worried about the heat, this time of year.

Your biggest concern is you cannot use modified live vaccines on pregnant cattle UNLESS you have already vaccinated them prior to breeding with BoviShield & you were now using BoviShield. They are the only MLV approved to be used on pregnant cattle IF they were previously vaccinated within 12 months.
But, you must read labels. Also, you have to be careful what products you use on any calves nursing these cows.
We generally vaccinate our cows PRIOR to breeding in the spring with BS MLV than we deworm & lepto vaccinate in the fall. We hit them with Lepto at least 2 X year.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2jv5aj5p said:
Your biggest concern is you cannot use modified live vaccines on pregnant cattle UNLESS you have already vaccinated them prior to breeding with BoviShield & you were now using BoviShield. They are the only MLV approved to be used on pregnant cattle IF they were previously vaccinated within 12 months.
But, you must read labels. Also, you have to be careful what products you use on any calves nursing these cows.
We generally vaccinate our cows PRIOR to breeding in the spring with BS MLV than we deworm & lepto vaccinate in the fall. We hit them with Lepto at least 2 X year.

We do basicly the same. In the fall the cows get killed stuff and the calves are weaned the same day and get MLV

dun

The university research that I have read, claims the killed vaccines (with the proper booster) only lasts a few months, where the MLV "may" last a lifetime, but still recommends yearly boosters.
We show baby calves each year, and we get lots of exposure. We have found a world of difference in our health of our herd now that we use the MLV.
Besides it's cheaper than killed. BUT, you must be carefull on your timing and only BoviShield is APPROVED to be used on calves nursing cows that were previously vaccinated with BS.

Like I said, we vaccinate all our cows PRIOR to breeding, than everything is safe to get the MLV (BS) at anytime. This way your calves can get all their shots prior to weaning.

Does anyone know how close you can vaccinate with MLV to the time you are going to AI (such as safe up to a day before, a week before, etc.). and does it matter if they are still nursing?

Thanks

If you are going to vaccinate OPEN cows PRIOR to breeding, unless they are virgin heifers, they will be nursing a calf. You would have to read the product you are using, but I believe the BS recommends at least two weeks prior to breeding.

quote from Ken McMillan, D.V.M....Progressive Farmer 11/2004;

"When is the best time to give cows annual vaccinations?

Vaccinate as close as possible to when the disease risk is greatest. In your cow herd, the biggest risk is aborton and infertility from IBR, vibriosis and leptospirosis. The best time to vaccinate for these diseases is after all have calved but before you put in the bulls. This also allows you to use modified live vaccines, which are much better at providing protection, are cheaper and are actually less stessful.
If viral or bacterial scours are a big problem, cows need vaccination in the last two months before your calving season. The biggest risks for calves are clostridial and respiratory diseases. Ideally, calves should get a "blackleg" between two and four months and a booster after six months of age. They also need at least one four-way respiratory vaccine(IBR,BVD,PI3 and BRSV)before weaning, if at all possible. Always give a respiratory booster. And replacement heifers should receive another booster along with lepto and vibro two to four weeks before they are to be bred."

Latest posts