When is it safe to store rolls

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
We were getting my hay up last weekend and we got an unexpected light morning shower. The forecast changed and they started calling for evening rain and for rain for the next several days. That afternoon they started rolling. At the beginning, the hay had a 22% moisture content. By the end, the last half of the hay had dropped back down into the teens. Because of this, we did not put any of it indoors.

My question is, if I wanted to move some of it inside (the later rolls and not the early rolls), how long should I wait to be absolutely certain that it will not overheat? I can leave it where it sits, but I hate to leave it out if I could move some of it in the dry.

I would probe the bales to check the temperatures. It will heat for awhile, and when it starts to cool back down you should be good to go. But I've never had the luxury of storing hay under a roof so take it for what it's worth lol

sstterry said:
Stocker Steve said:
Lots of variables. Buy a probe and check the hay.

I hate to spend $250-$300 dollars on a probe, would a compost thermometer work? I just really want to monitor the temps and not the moisture content.

A compost thermometer should work. One of the guys with UT was discussing hay and this topic at the Northeast Tn beef expo a couple years ago and said those worked just fine for hay. We've got one and use it with ours. Gets the job done, and much cheaper.

Doubt 22% is going to be a problem if it was cured before it got wet. Now if it were still green and got wet...might get a little hotter.

I put some in the barn today that I baled Monday a week ago that got rained on. Would have put it in sooner but kept getting showers running through.

sstterry said:
Stocker Steve said:

I hate to spend $250-$300 dollars on a probe, would a compost thermometer work? I just really want to monitor the temps and not the moisture content.

What did you use to determine the moisture of your hay at time of baling?

Silver said:
sstterry said:
Stocker Steve said:

What did you use to determine the moisture of your hay at time of baling?
The guy who does it has a moisture sensor on his roller. It constantly gives him the moisture content of the hay.

We use a oven thermometer . The kind with the long wire probe. A cordless drill and a long bit with extension to drill a half inch hole 18" into the tightest part of the bale. Give it a bit after drilling in case you created heat. I usually put the probe in stuff hay back in the hole. And leave it for several days. Take the thermometer with you or the sun will damage the led readout. Got a buddy that swears by the compost thermometers.

I've used a kitchen/grill thermometer and some of the techniques described. They work. I've since gotten a hay tester with temp that has a 24" probe. That works better.

When I'm really concerned I will put bales under roof but leave them spaced out and in one layer. Then restack later. But I also live in an area with a lot of wind so I have wind flow through my buildings.

I bought a Turkey thermometer. Probe is pretty long....forget how long but long. Cost was not a factor.

Probed some fresh baled hay today. About 3 days baled so I took pics of my rig. A drill, a oven thermometer and a piece of hightensil wire..o and black tape. Remember the drill can create heat I drill the hole plug it with grass and check it daily until i feel ok with it. I always check the first bales, bales from really thick windrows and especially bales that suddenly begin to squat after a few days. Terry I'm not liable for any injury's from the high tensil wire...lol ...or the drill....or the thermometer.

Latest posts