When Do Bulls Get Mean

Help Support CattleToday:

inyati13

Reaction score
I am using a Black Angus bull that belongs to my neighbor. His property line joins mine and we have a gate in the property line in case we need to move livestock between us. The bull is about 4 years old. He is very laid back right now. He just got a younger bull and plans to replace the one I am using. I have thought about buying him. If he is getting ready to cycle him out of his herd, I assume he thinks he is going to get mean or too big, etc. Do Black Angus bulls normally get mean after they get some age on them? Or is there more concern about them getting big and possibly injuring a cow? What is the rule of thumb on the age range you should keep your bull in?

Some bulls get that way as calves some never do. They're just like people, I din;t get really ranky till I turned 60, my dad never did.

Retaining heifers is another reason alot of people cycle through bulls. Could be thats what your neighbor is doing. I dont remember seeing Angus bulls that were too big to service cows.

I think bulls, like cows, don't last as long as we would like to think.
My last bull got mean at 4, so I purchased two really really mellow half brothers to replace him. Then one crippled the other.
So my current average age to cull is about 3...

Our average on bulls is about 3 years. We had one Angus bull to get mean when he turned 3 but our other one never did. I usually replace bulls every 3 years. one-because i keep replacement heifers and two- i like getting new blood and genetic into the herd. Also as bulls get older they get heavier and we have a lot of older cows (like 10+ yrs old) and i'm afraid one will get broke down and hurt.

inyati13":34jjib6q said:
I am using a Black Angus bull that belongs to my neighbor. His property line joins mine and we have a gate in the property line in case we need to move livestock between us. The bull is about 4 years old. He is very laid back right now. He just got a younger bull and plans to replace the one I am using. I have thought about buying him. If he is getting ready to cycle him out of his herd, I assume he thinks he is going to get mean or too big, etc. Do Black Angus bulls normally get mean after they get some age on them? Or is there more concern about them getting big and possibly injuring a cow? What is the rule of thumb on the age range you should keep your bull in?

If you can get him right he should work for you. Lots of folks will keep a bull as long as he is filling a need. I'm a one bull operation and will move one out if I want to keep replacements. Have one now that is coming four in March. Terminal use so far. Haven't really had one get mean. But they do seem to reach a point where they begin to realize they are bigger than you (insert term Bullheaded). I feel a lot of it is related to how one handles their stock. Not trying to start anything, but I read people talking about hitting 'em and beating on 'em, I think that can backfire on you. If it gets to that point I don't need the animal.

fitz

our current herd bulls are 9, 7, 6 and 4, no disposition issues, attitude is heritable in all species, sure environment plays a part but if you select away from the bad actors and don't make excuses for them over time you will be happier and better off (not neccessarily just talkin about cattle!)

From observation on our place, some bulls stay gentle as long as you have them, and others "figure out" how to be mean. If they are hit often or hotshotted, they tend to get there pretty quick. Seems like not only an age when they realize they are bigger than you, but also sometimes just a situation triggers it. Like when they figure out the cubes will fall out of the bucket when they butt it or figure out they can get over the fence. My dad used to feed cubes by hand; each cow got a double handful of cubes one cow at a time. Guess he thought they were going to stand in line for their double handful. He would always feed the bull first, of course, but by the time he fed cow number 30, the bull was looking for more. One hooked him from behind and threw him over the fence (and this was a gentle bull). Dad finally got ok, but the bull went to the sale the next day. I figure when a bull learns something, he is going to keep doing it, so he gets traded in for another.

And I agree with dun and inyati. Turning 60 didn't do my disposition any good either.

Grandpa":37idoyme said:
And I agree with dun and inyati. Turning 60 didn't do my disposition any good either.

I am rank (cranky) at 50, what will I be at 60? Hey you kids, get off my lawn. :lol:

60 is when all those aches start to add up and things you took the time to deal with before are no longer a priority like being sweet and nice to everyone. For example, when someone was going on about someone I didn't even know was ill (I think it was just a bad case of hiccups) I told him, I don't care about your friend, am I going to make it. :lol2:

I don't think that bulls necessarily EVER get mean. I think some of them are made mean over time, and some of them get smarter or more educated and stop being willing to be pushed around.....and some are just born mean and it eventually surfaces.

As for me I seem to be getting nicer and more congenial as I age. I look for the good in everyone and almost never lose my temper anymore! :cowboy:

inyati13":euu29sp8 said:
3waycross, about where are you in the great state of Colorado. In my other life I lived in Denver. Great town and wonderful state!

Salida

3waycross":26pz2nkc said:
I don't think that bulls necessarily EVER get mean. I think some of them are made mean over time, and some of them get smarter or more educated and stop being willing to be pushed around.....and some are just born mean and it eventually surfaces.

As for me I seem to be getting nicer and more congenial as I age. I look for the good in everyone and almost never lose my temper anymore! :cowboy:
You do know that lieing is a sin don;t you?

dun":3bk7e5uu said:
3waycross":3bk7e5uu said:

You do know that lieing is a sin don;t you?

That's why I converted to Presbyterian they go a little easier of ya for that than the Catholics do.

3waycross, Salida. Nice country. Must be fun running a beef operation in the west. I lived out there (Casper, WY; Helena, MT and Denver, CO) for 33 years. When I retired, I returned to my roots here in KY to own some land and cattle and get back to how I was raised. I would have tried it in the west, but you need so much land out there. It is more affordable to have a cattle operation here than I thought it could be out there. So, I am here. Sure hope to get out there when my cows will let me!

I have kept bulls into their teen years, not often, but occasionally. Its been a long time since I have had a mean Limousin bull, mainly because I have used the docility epd that the Limousin Association has been using for many years.. I have walked away from some nice looking bulls over the years...Two things usually get a bull, their hips get stiff and just the plain old dont want to service ladies anymore.

If this bull has been treated correctly in the past, I see no reason not to keep him.

What about rodeo bulls, are they mean or just don't want you on their back? Maybe both. When they throw the cowboy and then start to stomping a mud hole in his belly, it appear to be a little meanness to me. I've heard they select bread for that disposition