Wheat, again

Help Support CattleToday:

TSR

Reaction score
How tall should wheat be before you start grazing it? This is wheat that I drilled into my hayfields. I just don't want the cows to pull it up by the roots as I intend to fertilize it and hopefully cut it for hay sometime in early May. Which brings about how much time does the wheat need to recover from grazing and make a hay crop with good fertilization??

TSR":10tqk718 said:
How tall should wheat be before you start grazing it? This is wheat that I drilled into my hayfields. I just don't want the cows to pull it up by the roots as I intend to fertilize it and hopefully cut it for hay sometime in early May. Which brings about how much time does the wheat need to recover from grazing and make a hay crop with good fertilization??

That's a couple of loaded questions. We graze it when it's about 6-8 inches in the fall/winter, but that's because that's about all we can get for growth until spring. In the spring we graze it wonce to about 3-4 inches then let it grow out to cut. The whims of Ma Nature sometimes makes all of that wonderful planning not work with spit.

dun

8 to 10 inches is the ideal turn-in height for best gains. If you need to graze earlier, grab a handfull near the ground and pull up to simulate grazing. Pulls up roots & it is too early to graze, no roots & you can graze but gains can be restricted due to limited bite size. Just another 2 cents worth.

Latest posts