Army worms again

Help Support CattleToday:

Is prevlathon controlled or able buy at any farm store?
If not sprayed will they destroy field permanently or just stunt it for the remainder of the season?

(so dam frustrating back that quick 🤦🏽‍♂️)
It's regulated.
As far as damage it can range from almost none to complete devastation. We deal with them every fall here. You can tell their coming when you start seeing the fingernail sized white and gray moths around your porch light at night. The moths lay eggs in the grass, in a couple weeks the eggs start hatching. So you will have several separate hatches. It takes the worms a couple weeks to get to the size where they start really doing noticable damage.
We don't spray if all we find is worms under a inch, but instead wait until they get bigger than a inch or we start to see damage. Damage will start as little small spots but once the worms get big and a heavy infestation a field can disappear almost overnight. They are very easy to kill fortunately, real hot dry weather, and moderately cool weather (nights below 50) especially with some rain will stop them.

How many acres of army worm infested pasture do you have to have to be a member of this topic ?

Never have had to deal with them until now. 50 % crop loss because of them. Don't really know where to start dealing with them other than spraying ? Not sure what to spray or how many times to spray. But have to do something.

What are army worms?

Well, first you have to have grass, cool weather, and rain. You folks in Montana are hurting bad in all 3. My thoughts and prayers are with you daily and I hope God changes this weather pattern for you all to get all 3.

Army worms look like caterpillars (which they are) with army helicopter pilot helmets on. They can consume acres and acres in a single night. They eat the leaves off mostly fresh Bermuda grass and leave the stems. Native grasses are not as susceptible.

This might be our worse yet since returning home.

I was going to cut hay yesterday instead of spraying. Glad I didn't. It is raining all day today and maybe more.

I sprayed again first thing yesterday morning and I felt like crap from my covid shot. They were very spotty and not all over this time, and most were tiny. I hit them hard again. This was my second spray.

Latest posts