What's your current oldest cow?

Help Support CattleToday:

16, and her last year. She's doing fine, but not gonna risk it. She has a heifer this yr I'll keep.

Have gotten rid of a couple 16 yr olds the last couple years.

I don't know how old my oldest is, but she's the last remaining cow that belonged to my father, who died in 2007, and she wasn't young then. She has to be 20, or close to it.

Other than her, my next oldest will be 14 in a few months and is still going strong. Here are two pictures of her from last year just before I weaned calves.

Farm Fence Solutions":2n410cdj said:

Mid 20's. No shyt.

With horns lopsided like that, I wonder if she has a crick in her neck ever...

Our oldest is 23 in September; I'm hoping she's bred, but if she's not she goes... We'll know more in a month or two.

WalnutCrest":61w1z12w said:
Farm Fence Solutions":61w1z12w said:

Mid 20's. No shyt.

Our oldest is 23 in September; I'm hoping she's bred, but if she's not she goes... We'll know more in a month or two.

Until about 18 months ago, they were symmetrical. The left side just keeps dropping.

I got a handful left that are in their mid 20's...don't know if I'll cull the oldest one are just let her die here...she's been a dandy...3/4 simm 1/4 Brahman...

Current oldest is 14 and doing fine (Nelly), culled one of her mates each year for the last 3 years.. have had a couple get to 18 and have 16 calves.. Caddy is 12 and in fine shape, she could get old, her mother was one that got to 18.. I find about 14 is when they start to lose the spring in their step, though Nelly surprised me a couple months ago with a brief show of youth, bucking and running
Nelly at about 9 years old, hasn't changed any, still a fat pig too

In our purbred herds, it's CRSL 5381R "Roxy". She is 12 years, 4 months. Always puts a calf in the keeper pen.

Farm Fence Solutions":33tr4lat said:
WalnutCrest":33tr4lat said:
Farm Fence Solutions":33tr4lat said:

Mid 20's. No shyt.

Until about 18 months ago, they were symmetrical. The left side just keeps dropping.
Wow, what would cause that? But I actually like them - gives her character.

Our oldest cow is 14 1/2 years old. She raised a great calf every year, but we "retired" her after weaning her 2015 heifer calf. Quite a bit of our herd is descended from her. Right now, she is running with our young heifers. Our oldest producing cow is right now 11 1/2 years old.

TCRanch":r4ntwguj said:
Muddy":r4ntwguj said:
Oldest cow in the herd with her 2017 bull calf. She is 16 years old right now.
She looks great! Have you kept any of her heifers?
Got a daughter out of her but she's solid black and I kinda of wanted to get a belted heifer out of the old cow. Galloway blood seems add longevity to our Angus cows. Her paternal (full angus) sisters of same age will be in the trailer this fall...late breeders. Her maternal sisters are in their early teens and shows no age on them.

TCRanch":2xi0l9wq said:
Farm Fence Solutions":2xi0l9wq said:
WalnutCrest":2xi0l9wq said:

Wow, what would cause that? But I actually like them - gives her character.

Gravity is the only reasonably intelligent answer I can come up with. It's solid if you grab ahold of it. The Vet says that sometimes the horns just die, but I think that's code for I don't have a clue. I'm open to suggestions.

Our Nelly, she hasn't made the best daughters.. I have one, she's alright, another one I culled for being a pizz poor producer that starved her calf half to death.
Caddy (12 years old) has made 4 keeper heifers so far and has a couple up and coming granddaughters, 2 bulls (and I coulda shoulda woulda kept 2 others), so she's got lots of grandkids from the bulls side too..
My current "heifer of the year" Hera is both her granddaughter and niece, just head and shoulders above the rest, and her daughter (sired by her son) is another keeper for sure... It's nice when they just work

Caddy with granddaughter Sigma a month ago or so

Caddy with daughter

Hera

and a double granddaughter (full sibling mating).. I like the back and butt, could do with less chrome

Latest posts