What's your current oldest cow?

Help Support CattleToday:

hillbillyhammer":1ckda1kg said:
Workinonit Farm":1ckda1kg said:
She looks good.

My oldest one is 12, currently has her 12th calf at side.
Got bred young did she? I need some like her. :)

She was born 3-1-05
1st calf 2-13-07 (she jumped out of 1 field & into the field with the bull----she's a hussy ;) )
2nd calf 1-16-08
3rd calf 3-4-09
4th 1-3-10
5th (got pregnant on 'calf-heat') 11-13-10
6th 9-29-11
7th 8-27-12
8th 8-13-13
9th 8-20-14
10th 9-1-15
11th 7-2-16
12th 6-16-17

This cow is a fertile Myrtle, like her mother. I have retained only 1 heifer from her and she takes after her mother, very fertile. (I should have retained a couple more).

A few years ago.

Coming three year old first calf heifer out of the old horn cow with her March 15 bull calf. We've kept several heifers out of the old cow, and they are all great producers.

Farm Fence Solutions":1yfr1mp7 said:

A few years ago.

Coming three year old first calf heifer out of the old horn cow with her March 15 bull calf. We've kept several heifers out of the old cow, and they are all great producers.
That skunktail calf is very impressive. Any reason why you leave that calf intact or do you have plans for that calf?

TCRanch":3gs9c629 said:
Muddy":3gs9c629 said:
Oldest cow in the herd with her 2017 bull calf. She is 16 years old right now.
She looks great! Have you kept any of her heifers?

Here's her daughter, she has a little brindling on her but I guess she never threw a red calf or a brindled calf.

Here is a 15 years old commercial Angus cow...she has ugly udder but never had any trouble with her during calving season.

Muddy":2bm9qxlz said:
Farm Fence Solutions":2bm9qxlz said:

A few years ago.

That skunktail calf is very impressive. Any reason why you leave that calf intact or do you have plans for that calf?
Thanks! That calf is 1/4 Longhorn and 3/4 Angus, and I'd consider that a terminal cross. We usually wean and then cut or band the bulls.....Just always got a better rate of gain that way.

Culled 14years old cow last year. Her calves quality was dropping and her udder ligament wasn't holding at all. Have three daughters from her, some granddaughters and have used her daughter's son for breeding one season. Charolaisxdairy.
003_6.jpg
Freshly calved at 13 years.

This year will cull two more 14 years old cows. One could be kept for longer, but she has way less milk than usually this year, so she'll need to go. Have two daughters in the herd and some grandgranddaughters by one grandson. She's Limousinexdairy. Weaned her this year bull calf today. 518lbs at 6months and 3days age.
Another one is Herefordxdairy. In her lifetime she had two heifers, one was born this year. Will keep her to replace the mom. Cow is skinny and had mastitis in one teat this year, so will have to go too.
DSCF3021.jpg

I suppose I have a young herd compared to most. My oldest are 6 years old; I have 10 of those.

Workinonit Farm":aie8zbcl said:
hillbillyhammer":aie8zbcl said:
Workinonit Farm":aie8zbcl said:
She looks good.

My oldest one is 12, currently has her 12th calf at side.
Got bred young did she? I need some like her. :)

She was born 3-1-05
1st calf 2-13-07 (she jumped out of 1 field & into the field with the bull----she's a hussy ;) )
2nd calf 1-16-08
3rd calf 3-4-09
4th 1-3-10
5th (got pregnant on 'calf-heat') 11-13-10
6th 9-29-11
7th 8-27-12
8th 8-13-13
9th 8-20-14
10th 9-1-15
11th 7-2-16
12th 6-16-17

This cow is a fertile Myrtle, like her mother. I have retained only 1 heifer from her and she takes after her mother, very fertile. (I should have retained a couple more).
What breed is she?

I really enjoy threads like these!
Here's our oldest girl:
IMG_3441sm.jpg

She is currently 18 (born Jan 1999). Pictured a couple days ago. Purebred Angus cow. Bought her at a dispersal sale in 2008. She did not have a calf this spring so she really should've gone to town but on the other hand she doesn't owe us anything and if there was ever a cow that deserved to just die on the farm it would probably be her. But cull cow prices are still pretty high and we would probably be able to sell her for double what we paid for her or more. We will see what happens this fall. If she's bred we may just give her another chance. If not she will most likely get on the truck with the rest of our culls. :( We've sold 4 breeding bulls from her and have kept 3 daughters and have 1 granddaughter. Been a really good cow for us even if she did fail at her job this year.

IMG_3391sm.jpg

this is probably the next oldest cow. Not exactly sure how old she is at least 15. She will be culled this fall after we wean her calf. Still looks & walks fine but her last 2 calves haven't been very good.

IMG_3293sm.jpg

another old girl - probably 14 or so. She will also be culled this fall as she's getting a bad hip. She's the 'lead' cow whenever we walk cows home so will be interesting to see how the herd behaves without her next year. Have 1 daughter that had her first calf this spring and she has a nice heifer calf this year that we will keep.

hillbillyhammer":2l427yn4 said:
What breed is she?

She's a black Angus. The only 100% one I have left. I bought her mother from the place where I used to work. Her mother was heavy bred, AI'd to GAR US Premium Beef (reg # 14301014). Her mother went on to have 3 more calves for me. (Angus cross)

Neither she nor her mother were registered. I got her mother for cull price, as she had had twins the year before and they didn't want to take chances that she's twin again. :roll:

**I tried to load a picture of her (2 times) for whatever reason it wouldn't load**

We have a 13 year old, she raised an embryo every year since we owned her, except one AI sired calf. We kept her AI sired calf (WideTrack), a heifer, who is due in December to Built Right. Her daughter looks JUST LIKE HER (I will get pics). The only reason she is leaving is that we have too many cows, and she is the oldest in our herd, and she is having more difficulty this year (losing weight, hip seems to bug her some days....).
This is her:
\

Her daughter, a yearling:

We still have two 2004 cows working in the herd. One is a carrier, we started using her as a recip when we got the carrier status. That has been quite a few years ago, then I said when she doesn't take an egg she is going to town, she is due with an ET calf on 10/12. The other is a pathfinder cow that just keeps getting the job done, they are the kind I find very difficult to send to town. We keep checking their teeth but so far so good. The oldest cow we have had was 17 she was a good simi angus cross cow that I sure hated to get rid of.

gizmom

Creekdrive, That 18 year old sure seems to have made the best of summer holidays, she's sure fat, and probably a tank to begin with!.. If she's bred she might have a dandy calf next year!

This is Rosie the day I put her down, just shy of 18, 16th calf at foot. A bad hip was the biggest ailment and another winter on ice would not have been good for her..

I have 3 daughters, all great producers, two of them are raising the two biggest heifer calves of the year sired by her grandson, the 3rd adopted a second calf, and the two calves weigh about 450 and 350 lbs at 160 days, so she's working hard.. then if I include the heifers I'm keeping this year, I'll have 5 granddaughters and 3 great granddaughters..
I'd really like to get a family photo, but getting them all to pose at once.. well.. that's gonna be hard

about 12 years old

16 years old, with granddaughter stealing.. Those two calves are two of my best cows now, Hers (closest to her) is Hera's mother, and absolute meatwagon, well into the 500's, if not into 600's at 160 days from a moderate sized momma.

Youngest daughter Kama doing double duty with the adoptee

Next youngest daughter Roma (sold her to a friend) with twins (Jack and Jill), and she looks super proud of them

Oldest daughter Caddy, 2006 model (with granddaughter at 110 days old or so?) She's about 500 now at 150 days

mrvictordomino":3n9dw7ok said:
14 year old cow still very productive, have a few 13 year olds and several 12 year olds.

Nice cow

creekdrive":3n42yuvm said:
I really enjoy threads like these!
Here's our oldest girl:
IMG_3441sm.jpg

She is currently 18 (born Jan 1999). Pictured a couple days ago. Purebred Angus cow. Bought her at a dispersal sale in 2008. She did not have a calf this spring so she really should've gone to town but on the other hand she doesn't owe us anything and if there was ever a cow that deserved to just die on the farm it would probably be her. But cull cow prices are still pretty high and we would probably be able to sell her for double what we paid for her or more. We will see what happens this fall. If she's bred we may just give her another chance. If not she will most likely get on the truck with the rest of our culls. :( We've sold 4 breeding bulls from her and have kept 3 daughters and have 1 granddaughter. Been a really good cow for us even if she did fail at her job this year.

IMG_3391sm.jpg

this is probably the next oldest cow. Not exactly sure how old she is at least 15. She will be culled this fall after we wean her calf. Still looks & walks fine but her last 2 calves haven't been very good.

IMG_3293sm.jpg

another old girl - probably 14 or so. She will also be culled this fall as she's getting a bad hip. She's the 'lead' cow whenever we walk cows home so will be interesting to see how the herd behaves without her next year. Have 1 daughter that had her first calf this spring and she has a nice heifer calf this year that we will keep.

Would like to have a pasture full like the top cow.