What's the difference between millet, sorghum, etc?

Help Support CattleToday:

blackcowz

Reaction score
I have been thinking quite a bit about this lately. What's the difference in millet, sorghum, sudan grass and "feed"? Ain't there grain and hay varieties of millet? I can't get all them straight, so if you all could help me out, I'd greatly appreciate it. :help:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
Sorghum Sudan mix is what I'll occassionally plant. It is heavier stemmed will grow like banchies but you do run a higher risk of poisoning cattle with it. There is less of a risk with the pearl millet and its stem is not nearly as big as the SxS. Its leafier. IMO, I prefer the pearl millet. It grows extremely fast, has less risk of poisoning and less risk of eye problems. But that's just me.

There are different varieties of pearl but I don't know if there is one specifically designed for hay. I use Tiftleaf 3 and if it gets out of hand I'll cut it for hay or baleage.

OP
blackcowz

blackcowz

Reaction score
Ah, OK, so I'm thinking of millet. That would be what I see cut for feed. I do remember one time we fed sorghum and it killed a horse because of high nitrates. We haven't fed it since, but we have been looking for a good feed to plant in some sub-irrigated land, and millet was what I was thinking of. Thanks JoGee.

mnmtranching

Reaction score
Check out Siberian hay millet. Foxtail with small seeds and very leafy. Grows fast in hot weather. With adequate rain or irrigation will give you a heavy yield.

Latest posts