• Basket Rake

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rotary Rake

Votes: 12 26.7%

• Total voters

FarmGirl10

Reaction score
What does everyone prefer to use?

Edited to add a catagory....which I change my vote to. I completely forgot about it, but its my favorite.

I like bar rakes because most of our fields are small and uneven. Wheel rakes are too cumbersome and leave too much hay on the ground. I wish we had fields large and level enough to use the other rakes.

i like the wheel rakes because you can rake alot of hay in a short amount of time.but if you have small odd fields a bar rake will be best.

I prefer to use a basket rake because you can do all but one adjustment from the cab of the tractor. And it also seems to me that you can go a lot faster with one. Having said that I should admit to having never used a wheel rake.

you can run the rake in 4th or 5th gear.but speed has alot todo with how smooth yuour fields are.if they are rough youll get killed running in 6th gear.ive raked all my life with wheel rakes.

I have an uncle that swear by wheel rakes, he tried out a basket rake once. But he lives in a really flat windy area so all the hay would blow away when he used them. I heard my dad say that a wheel rake if used on the right type of land (no idea what type that is) its the best picks up absolutely everything, is that true?

I used a NH basket rake for years. Ran them till the frames cracked, welded and ran them some more.
Now I use a 10 wheel V-rake. Mine is green, but very similar to a dozen others. The wheel rake does a cleaner job for me and my fields roll as much as any. And it cost the same as a well-used NH. And at 20 feet a pass, I no longer have to spend 2 hrs raking for half an hour baling.

I used to have NH bar rakes but now I have a rotary rake , I would never go back to a bar rake , it sets the hay up instead of rolling it like a rope and I think it dries better . I like to pull it with my old MF 135 with ground speed PTO , it handles the hay a little easier.

Windrows rolled up like ropes bale better than fluffy, lumpy windrows. Hay should be dry before raking and raked only once. Weather sometimes has a way of making you do things differently.

Have no experience with alflafa which might be the exception because of leaf shatter.

roped hay dose feed in the baler much better,but there is no comparison to the easts humidity and dew, to central texas

I use a basket rake because that is what I ended up with. It is only about 30 years old.

I use a 9 wheel single-sided Vicon rake because I can make the rows as large or as small as needed.

We have a 10 wheel rake. I've never used any other kind. I have no idea what a basket rake is. I have noticed that ours does leave more on the field then the neighbor who uses what I would guess would be called a bar type rake, but it is much smaller too.

I use a wheel rake on 2 of our fields and all of them at the dairy. The rest of ours I use an old International 35 side delivery.

1982vett":1c2jeqfw said:
Windrows rolled up like ropes bale better than fluffy, lumpy windrows. Hay should be dry before raking and raked only once. Weather sometimes has a way of making you do things differently.

Have no experience with alflafa which might be the exception because of leaf shatter.

That is one of the biggest misconceptions about making hay out there... "Hay should be dry before raking" WRONG WRONG WRONG!!!

Hay should be at 50% moisture when raked for the highest quality and to minimize sunbleaching and weathering. 50% moisture is basically when it's wilted flat. I'm near Houston and with our 95-100 degree days during most of the hay season here, with average conditions and average grass hay, if you cut in the early afternoon one day, it will be ready to rake 24 hours later. If the hay is light, the temps are pushing 100 or the grass is dry from drought, you can rake the next morning and be fine. I've had some unusual conditions of high heat and dry conditions where I cut at 8-11 am and raked at 6 pm the same day. Basically, if any of the stems are still sticking up from the windrow, or leaves sticking up, it's still above 50% moisture and should dry more before raking. If the leaves and tops of the stems are laying flat on the swath or ground, it's time to rake. The hay should still be a bright green color, but not glossy like fresh grass; you want that flat green wilted look. Raking at this moisture level preserves the most leaves and minimizes shattering, and moves the hay into the windrow where it will continue to dry down. It also puts the hay on top of the swath, which has had the most sun and drying exposure, into the middle of the windrow and exposes the underside of the swath and stems which have been shaded underneath to the outside of the windrow for more even drying, and prevents over exposing the tender leaves and upper part of the cut forage to excessive sun bleaching which destroys carotene and reduces the nutritional quality of the hay. The harder to dry stems are exposed on the outside of the windrow and get more sun and wind to speed drying. (At least this is true with a rolabar rake; wheel rakes tend to sweep the hay together in a more random manner). The purpose of raking is really to get the hay up into a windrow so it can continue to dry with the minimum amount of sun exposure possible. Wind drying the hay does no harm, but sun bleaching from UV rays breaks down carotene, many nutrients, and reduces quality. The best hay should have a good solid green color when it's baled; it should not look like gold wheat straw that has baked flat under the Great Plains sun for a couple months! Yet time and again, I see guys growing beautiful fertilized bermuda hay, or spotlessly clean bahia or other grass hay, who then cut it and let it burn to a crispy golden brown on the field for 4-5 days before they'll run the rake right ahead of the baler, by which time the damage is done! In our conditions, it takes about another 24 hours after raking before it's down around 12-14 percent moisture and ready for baling. We generally cut the first day, rake the second day, and bale the third day, and lemme tell you, once you see the result you'll never let it set and burn again. I can unroll a bale in January, reach down and pick up a handful of beautiful green grass hay, twist it and smell it, and it's as fresh as the day it was cut, beautiful and sweet smelling like cured tobacco. The cows just love it!

Hay is the highest quality it will ever be the moment you cut it... it's all downhill from there. The real trick, the art and the science, is minimizing that downhill part from the time it's cut until it's in the bale and the bale is in the barn or storage. (Quote from a book I have on haying) I would add also minimizing the loss from the time it's cut until it's in the cow's gut... OL JR:)

This has nothing to do with hay. But your name made me smile. Strawwalker. I haven't used that word in years. But when I did use it before it was always used in anger. Usually I was swearing as I was either unplugging them or when I was brazing them back together. It makes me wonder why we didn't buy the N series Gleaner when they came out. Probably because I was only 4 years old when they were introduced and me and my brother were just the right size to crawl up thru the chopper on the L2 to unplug them while he just stood outside along with grandpa drinking beer. Dusty scratchy mess that was I hated those things with a passion. I'm starting to get angry as I type.

Most folks don't rake their swathed hay here. Heavy hay lays there for 4 to 5 days and then makes a lot of dust when it is baled.

I use a NH tedder for flipping swathed clover hay. Is that what you are calling a rotary rake?

Most of the rakes you do see used are NH roll a bar rakes. They sell for more than the older 4 or 5 wheel rakes. I have not used a wheel rake. Anyone know why the smaller wheel rakes are not in demand?

Around here, if you raked one day and baled the next, you'd be hardpressed to find your windrows back. Probably would have to rake it twice as they'd be blown all over the place.

Sounds good except for that one little detail.

Latest posts