• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Whats the best feed during a drought for cattle??

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

It seems that we might be facing another drought here in the Southwest. We had a very dry winter. A few years ago, we had a drought. A friend of mine who has cattle, feed his cattle tons and tons of hay. Still his cattle were not fat and did not gain. Some even died, I mean they had plenty of hay and water. The following year none of his cattle calved. My question is what is the best feed to feed cattle during a drought?? Thank You hope to be hearing from yall soon!!
<br>
<br><hr size=7 width=75%><p>

[email protected]

OP
A

Anonymous

Hi Joe,<br>This has been discussed on cattle pages & several, myself included have recommended using some type of lick block or lick tubs. I also add vitamins ADE to my loose minerals. It is effective against pinkeye & will assure they get the correct amount of these vitamins to help them stay healthy. Hope this helps & hope you don't have the drought, Darla *.~<p>
<br>
<ul><li><a href="http://members.xoom.com/Star_K/">Star K Ranch Murray Greys</a></ul>

[email protected]

OP
A

Anonymous

Adequate minerals is a big concern. Cattle that are deficient in certain important minerals will have a difficult time cycling and getting bred. Hay will not provide a lot of those minerals that good, green grass will.
<br>

jerry27150

Reaction score
the hay needs to be checked to see it it has enough nutrients in it. lot of diff between early & late cut stuff, a straight grass or grass legume mix

jilleroo

Reaction score
Is cottonseed available in your area? We feed whole white cottonseed to our cows in drought time, as much as they can eat, its made available 24/7 - we've never had any losses. You'd need to feed some hay with it if they have no dry grass to chew on.

Latest posts