What's it worth?

Help Support CattleToday:

I went to two machinery sales Saturday and stayed at each maybe 3-4 hours. It maybe the time of year, but equipment went cheap. Unless it was a really good piece of equipment like new condition you could buy it at a price and be able to spend some on it and still be above water.

We just had an additional equipment consignment auction schedule for late this year. Usually they are April and September. I asked the auctioneer why - - he said several bankers had called him and requested this.

There has been a lot of "retirement farm auctions" here also. Most of them are the bank telling them they have to quit. I guess the retirement tittle is to save some dignity, but everyone knows what's really going on.

Some guys have been able to hold on with the low commodity prices if they didn't have much debt. But now the interest rates are creeping up and the guys with lots of land and or equipment debt are going to really struggle making it.

Corn farmers tend to have high overhead. The other issue here, is that rented land does not usually cash flow currently.
So renters with equipment payments are the most exposed.