Head holder worth the money??

Help Support CattleToday:

Boog337

Reaction score
Im looking into adding some kind of head holder to my headgate.. Anyone used them? Which do you like best? Are they worth the money or just deal with the cows without?? Just a few cows go crazy when locked in.. Makes it hard to tag without missing.. Thanks

We have a priefert chute and if needed we put a rope around their neck, cross the rope and loop it around the nose and dally their head to the side of the headgate.

I have a for-most headgate with a head table attachment. Heavy duty. Will swing left or right out of the way and easy to remove completely. Spring to hold it hinged out of the way. Chain over the top of the head with a ratcheting winch wheel to tighten up. And a nose bar to hold the nose down. Great for dehorning or surgery. Will hold the head very still. Probably more restraint than you had in mind.

Main gate is hydraulic with left and right head turner. I get spoiled easily then have to go back to manual chutes and nose pliers at remote pastures. The older you get the easier you want to do things.

I have a for-most headgate with a head table attachment. Heavy duty. Will swing left or right out of the way and easy to remove completely. Spring to hold it hinged out of the way. Chain over the top of the head with a ratcheting winch wheel to tighten up. And a nose bar to hold the nose down. Great for dehorning or surgery. Will hold the head very still. Probably more restraint than you had in mind.

Yep. We've got the nosebar for our For-most and it's a big help restraining them.

I have a chain attached to the far side of the headgate and a notch welded to the opposite side. It is just normal link chain and I reach under and pull it under the neck and drop it into the notch to hold the head at whatever height I want. It doesn't hold them perfectly still like some other chain methods described but is very simple and easy to apply and makes a big difference.

Ken

A few years ago, I had to tattoo, in both ears about 50 head of yearling bulls. I had them being fed at a neighbor's place. I told the fellow helping me that this will be a lesson in frustration, because they sling their heads, or move right when you are getting ready to tattoo. I told him this would probably take over half a day. As it turned out, my neighbor had a Hi-Qual hydraulic chute with a neck extender. It held their head perfectly still, and we branded and tattooed 50 of these bulls in two hours. It was the easiest thing I'd ever done, compared to tattooing in a regular chute. I guess it just depends on how many cattle you own, and what your purpose for a head holder would be. If you are having to work on their heads quite a bit, such as tattooing in a registered operation, or if you have a large herd, or possibly a feedlot, it may be a good way to go. The Hi-Qual seemed to be a good on.

We don't use it a lot,but I absolutely love mine. Dehorning and ringing bulls.

Latest posts