What's hybrid vigor? This baby is PUREBRED ANGUS!

Help Support CattleToday:

************* said:
Ebenezer said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
I will suspend disbelief and take you at your word.
Why come so far when Smith Grove is so close? Good cattle are not rare. Just learn the programs and buy what works for you.

He's waiting for an America bull with high carcass scores, wonder where TT is going to find that combo? Probably not where you mentioned, or anywhere else in the multi-state vicinity. Just a hunch.
Some hunches are like gas. you do not know if you are going to belch or ...

JWBrahman said:
This sounds like those discussions where well intentioned adults try to reason with a spoiled, over indulged child that has received a trophy for everything in life.

All of the claims made that purebreed animals are more vigorous have been disproven and refuted in every possible way.

The only thing the original poster has proven is that this individual will never be a profitable rancher. Anybody can spend money. It's even easier when somebody gave it to you...

It takes money to make money. These cows don't AI themselves, they don't knock on the door when they are ready to be bred and then put themselves in the chute. I don't own a set up that automatically bales my hay when I'm sleeping. The list goes on of all the things that are not done for me. What gives you the impression that they are?

In my opinion, poor breeding decisions, even worse management of one's stock and land, not to mention having to acquire land from scratch with a mortgage are problem areas, I don't suffer from those issues.

I'm hearing stories about people raising crops that are hoping that they don't lose everything this year, months behind on equipment payments, barely breaking even in the farm game. I have heard of many people in my county alone that threw in the towel on cattle after this past winter, sold everything, they knew that they couldn't get their hay up and that prices are low on cattle. That's not my situation. If I wanted to I could put several top bulls on my herd (AI sons that I bred myself), sit under a tree drinking lemonade, steer everything in sight, and sell bred heifers with papers. That would be the easy route. I'm not doing easy.

If you are a student of Andrew Carnegie, and others during that period. They had NO MERCY when it came to feeling sorry for people that didn't see the writing on the wall and failed to plan FAR ahead. They saw it more from a Darwinian viewpoint. I'm not that harsh, I have at least a little empathy, but like I said failing to plan is a plan to fail.

76 Bar said:
Sounds like Dr. Hough has an agenda
If you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen. :roll:
Hough's commentary was written in response to the AAA's Elephant Ads:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHdH6wy7wG4
For an outfit that prides itself as 50 yr historical AAA breeders, I'd think you'd well remember so called ground breaking ads.

Surprisingly enough, I don't pay a lot of attention to the Angus ads. I watch Angus TV on Youtube when I see something of interest, also I have a stack of Angus Bulletins and Angus Journals gathering dust, I'm more focused on myself. LOL!

The ads I particularly focus on are the ones from Herbster Angus, they are really funny and arrogant but in a good way. When you have the best, why not flaunt it, he knows what he owns.

When Doc Hough has a bull battery and cow herd that rivals Herbster's, I might listen to him.

I've been given "expert" advice over the past several years, I'm very thankful, I took the opposite side of the trade, so to say.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
Ebenezer said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
I will suspend disbelief and take you at your word.
Why come so far when Smith Grove is so close? Good cattle are not rare. Just learn the programs and buy what works for you.

Who be Smith Grove pray tell?

I think he is talking about Oak Hollow.

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
Yes, you get better weaning weights, but I think the biggest benefit from crossbreeding - is the F1 COW. She is more fertile, healthier, longer lived. Just those 3 traits alone make her a great cow.
All those,and Longer lived is a understatement ...was thinking about this yesterday.. With some of my simbrah grannies .they've been here since my kids,were kids.now I have grandkids that are older than they were, when these gals were born . .....They might get me too great grandpaw status. :cowboy:

ALACOWMAN said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
Yes, you get better weaning weights, but I think the biggest benefit from crossbreeding - is the F1 COW. She is more fertile, healthier, longer lived. Just those 3 traits alone make her a great cow.
All those,and Longer lived is a understatement ...was thinking about this yesterday.. With some of my simbrah grannies .they've been here since my kids,were kids.now I have grandkids that are older than they were, when these gals were born . .....They might get me too great grandpaw status. :cowboy:

I have multiple dams past 13 in production, with one at 17. They are still settling via AI, still raising great calves. BR and TT saw them on their visit.

How can this be explained? I think some of the Champion Hill cows and SAV reached 20+ years. How old is old?

28 years is impressive, I'd like to get to a point where my average cull age is 10, I'm quite far from that, though I find if they make it to 10 years they make it to 15 quite often.. Oldest I've had is 18, 16 productive calves.

BH -- does CT compensate you for driving all of the board/web traffic? ;-)

Nesikep -- one thing I'd not expect to see on CT -- a Christopher Hitchens quote. Haha, nice sig line -- I'm sure he'd love being quoted on this site full of BS :D .

I'm testing the hybrid vigor question more by chance than by choice in my herd. Just bred my herd yesterday and 20% are F1 cross bred cows and half the herd will hopefully drop cross bred calves.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
kenny thomas said:
************* said:
Sounds like Dr. Hough has an agenda, but if you guys are happy that's all that matters.

I think Bob Hough is a pretty darn smart cattle guy. Read the article closely.
If I remember correctly he is a good friend of Red Bull Breeder also.

Here's another article he penned.

https://www.internationalgeneticsolutions.com/index.php/component/k2/item/35-management-perspectives-no-hype-epds-work

Pretty interesting in light of the EPD discussions we've had recently.

Dr. Hough is warning cattleman not to go back to "just looking at cattle". Use the EPDs, they work. His words.

Stickney94 said:
BH -- does CT compensate you for driving all of the board/web traffic?

Nesikep -- one thing I'd not expect to see on CT -- a Christopher Hitchens quote. Haha, nice sig line -- I'm sure he'd love being quoted on this site full of BS :D .

I'm testing the hybrid vigor question more by chance than by choice in my herd. Just bred my herd yesterday and 20% are F1 cross bred cows and half the herd will hopefully drop cross bred calves.

Christopher Hitchens is "da man".

Latest posts