whats causing this

Help Support CattleToday:

Deepsouth

Reaction score
where the Mason-Dixon line is considered the far n
Noticed today that my bull has cuts, abrasions, raw spots or whatever it is behind both front legs.

Right side.
IMAG1942.jpg

Left side
IMAG1941.jpg

it *could* be a fungal infection... I have some cows that get it around their udder... they like to lick it which I don't think helps any... Put some iodine on it anyhow, perhaps some fly spray or something too if they're bad

Nesikep":69eob4fj said:
it *could* be a fungal infection... I have some cows that get it around their udder... they like to lick it which I don't think helps any... Put some iodine on it anyhow, perhaps some fly spray or something too if they're bad

It could be fungus. But I've seen fungus on cattle and horses make the hair come off but I've never seen bad enough to eat though the skin and make them bleed. I will put some iodine on him though.

I looks just like the "hot spots" one of my dogs has right now. The skin looked scalded. Hers is from moisture with a secondary bacterial infection. Drying it out with Betadine or Iodine 5% is helpful. But she is also on antibiotics. Hers oozes a lot of fluid. I shaved the area to keep it even dryer. Do not use Iodine that is any stronger or you can blister the skin. (You can dilute with water.)
With your bull, I would not rule out that he got his front legs over the fence or a feeder though.........

branguscowgirl":ju2jc4b7 said:
I looks just like the "hot spots" one of my dogs has right now. The skin looked scalded. Hers is from moisture with a secondary bacterial infection. Drying it out with Betadine or Iodine 5% is helpful. But she is also on antibiotics. Hers oozes a lot of fluid. I shaved the area to keep it even dryer. Do not use Iodine that is any stronger or you can blister the skin. (You can dilute with water.)
With your bull, I would not rule out that he got his front legs over the fence or a feeder though.........

Right now I'm leaning more toward the hot spots because I'm sure he hasn't be on any fence or troughs. However I do have some stumps piled up that he may have got into. Aren't hot spots a fungus?

Deepsouth":1k4vhpmn said:
branguscowgirl":1k4vhpmn said:

Right now I'm leaning more toward the hot spots because I'm sure he hasn't be on any fence or troughs. However I do have some stumps piled up that he may have got into. Aren't hot spots a fungus?
I wouldn't think the stumps would cause abrasions on both sides, in the same spots.
Can be fungal or bacterial.

My heifer Sofa this winter had some nasty skin irritation, and it started around the same spot, she'd keep licking it and it would work it's way up the fold in the skin where it finally got too hard to lick, then it went away... It seemed like it would ooze blood plasma. This was in the middle of winter too. She's gotten over it now on her own. I think the only think I'd worry about with the bull is a secondary infection and flies.

Todd, I think a physical abrasion. Did it appear all of a sudden? As in, you did not see it one day and then he came in with it. I have noticed that cows get skin conditions around the udder from the rubbing that goes on. I have not seen any lesions like this but I do see a build up of waxy substance in the rub sites. BTW: Nice disposition. Must be a docile bull.

Never heard of a beef animal getting rain scald, but if that is what it is captan will get it in one application. I think rain scald is actually not a fungus. Some souped up bacteria that lives anaroebicly.

Bigfoot":2fq1p5zb said:
Never heard of a beef animal getting rain scald, but if that is what it is captan will get it in one application. I think rain scald is actually not a fungus. Some souped up bacteria that lives anaroebicly.

I've never heard of rain scald. I have used Captan on horses and it does work good. I'll get some today. Thanks guys!

Ron, he's very docile. He was actually a show calf.

that looks just like my boxers fungal infection, I treated him with iodine wash and athletes foot cream.

From your first photo, it looks like it is in an area where the skin folds cover it.

Does it smell like feet? If so, the same thing happens in heifers with swollen udders (the area between the udder and leg) as some posters have pointed out. Wash it out with mild soap and dry it out and apply something that keeps the skin dry (like zinc ointment). This type of lesion is usually caused by humidity, so the trick is to keep the affected area as dry as possible.

Good Luck.

Latest posts