What you Think of these 2 longhorns?

Help Support CattleToday:

TagandKiss

Reaction score
Just wanted a few opions on our 2 longhorns.

First is the cow she is 21months old. I was wondering if she got good horn set. i dont know how to judge them :D i need to measure point from point *note to self* "remember to buy measuring tape"

Picture054.jpg

Next is the heifer calf. She is 3months and 11days. Does she look good? decent? bad?

Picture073.jpg

I still learning :)

I had never admired the longhorn breed very much because
of their lack of muscle, i.e. I always look for the "beefy"
build. That said, that heifer is very pretty--promising! :)

good looking little heifer....why dont longhorn breeders dehorn their moma cows or their potentail replacements? seems like it would be one less hassle to deal with

ALACOWMAN":121r63xm said:
good looking little heifer....why dont longhorn breeders dehorn their moma cows or their potentail replacements? seems like it would be one less hassle to deal with

Wouldn't that defeat the whole purpose of having Longhorns? If I raised them, I would want to keep the horns to both look at and also to show potential buyers the span of the dam's horns.

Tag - there are several ways to measure the horns. Tip to tip (put the tape on one tip and pull straight across to the other tip) is the most common. Using that method, anything over 70" would be exceptional. Here's a link to an article on how to estimate the final horn length:

http://www.dalgoodlonghorns.com/hornpredictions.htm

Just as a note, you might want to put "longhorn" in your post titles. That will get you more responses from the longhorn folks on the board and less negative responses from the commercial cattle breeders.

And I really like the calf. :D

thank all =)

yea i will try to get a better photo of her. but she always gets right up to you making it hard to get her totally in the photo.

They are my grandpa's longhorns the only reason he got them was the horns. He has wanted to buy a longhorn for 15yrs and finally did last year. so removing the horns does kinda make it pointless of owning one. :)

Those aren't bad looking cattle. The little heifer looks good. What are you going to breed them to? To you non Longhorn breeders-why would we want to take the horns off? They really aren't a hassle, I guess that's just the misconception from those who aren't familiar with them?

Decent looking Lonhorns.

The first photo (head on) looks like it is not over 2 years old. Horn TTT estimate about 30-36" max. Nice feminine face. Without a good side view, hard to tell any more.

The heifer calf has nice straight topline, underline/naval flap looks decent. Nice hip. For a 3+ month old, we like to see horns about 1/2 way to ears. At or past ears at 6-7 months weaning. She looks to be about 200# or so. Apparently a nice gainer.

greatgerts":pntgxwtd said:
ALACOWMAN":pntgxwtd said:

Wouldn't that defeat the whole purpose of having Longhorns? If I raised them, I would want to keep the horns to both look at and also to show potential buyers the span of the dam's horns.

Horns sell (at least to other LH breeders). Also color patterns.

Longhorns are as a rule very docile animals...unless you got some as "Range Delivery" that had never really been worked or been around people. The LH is very easy to manage, they know exactly where the tip of their horn is and respect your space when going past them in narrow alley. If you treat them calmly and with respect, they'll return the favor. If you hassle, "hot-shot", or treat them badly...they will remember YOU...and hope you can get to the gate faster than they can...lol. On the pecking order...as with any non-human animal...you need to be Alpha animal at all times.

I like the cow and calf. If she is just for ornamental purpose then she is fine. Some longhorn breeders want more horns and some want horns but more muscle. I prefer to settle for Horned Herefords. They like the long horns are for the most part gentle and they do know how long them horns are.

I have a set of horns my dad gave me from a bull that got shot in the pasture I will try and post a pic of it later.

If you have other cows and a bull you might want to keep her seperate from them. My neighbor has one and she will not let any other cow eat or drink till she is done ( horns) she stays by herself now.

Nice cow and calf. JHH

thanks for all the replys :)

Well last year my grandpa brought up he wanted 3 longhorns. so i went off researching them and i really feel in love with the breed. I love the horns and all the colors they come in and their attitudes. So i found a local breeder and we went there and all he had was this black n white non register heifer. my grandpa loved her and brought her. I liked her but i wanted register. just for the fact easyer to sell. Anyways he was gonna buy 2 more from this other guy they where 11yr old cows. but he never did. Well went we brought the black n white one she was 9months old we got her when she was 10months. well this past june she poped out a baby. No one knew she was pregant not even the people we brought her from. they didnt know how she would got bred. they are nice old couple :) So thats how we got these two. I wanna really buy 1 more heifer a register one. So thats why i am trying to find another local breeder that has decent priced ones.

As for breeding. thats kinda hard I know of another breeder here but i dont know if they do breeding of their bull to anyone beside their own longhorn cows. then the other bull is the father to the black n white one. limit options :( I dont know about AI i need to read more up on it. but got a whole year to worry about that. wouldnt breed until the lil heifer is of age and get them done at the same time. at least thats what my grandpa says. his cows. even through i do all the work lmao. :D

the poor cow is at the bottom of the pecking order. it goes the paint mare, the pinto gelding, then the strawberry roan mare THEN the cow. but at times she will stand her ground. and the horses will leave her alone.

more photos. sorry aint the best today was a nasty windy day and cold and the cows would not work with me :p

Picture040.jpg

6.jpg

17.jpg

10.jpg

9.jpg

TagandKiss":1yv5fks7 said:
but got a whole year to worry about that. wouldnt breed until the lil heifer is of age and get them done at the same time.

I like the pair. A nice solid made cow with a calf that looks like it could be better than mom (thats what we like to see).

As for breeding, its really not a good idea to keep the cow open that long. The longer they are left open the harder it is to get them to breed back. You could have another calf on the ground, and then get both bred at the same time next year.

IN THE 1ST PIC. THE HEIFER LOOKS LIKE SHE HAS A PROMISING CARRER AS A POINTER OR A SHOWGIRL :lol:
NO REALLY THEY BOTH LOOK NICE. :)

Ryan":3q974q0e said:
TagandKiss":3q974q0e said:
but got a whole year to worry about that. wouldnt breed until the lil heifer is of age and get them done at the same time.

I like the pair. A nice solid made cow with a calf that looks like it could be better than mom (thats what we like to see).

As for breeding, its really not a good idea to keep the cow open that long. The longer they are left open the harder it is to get them to breed back. You could have another calf on the ground, and then get both bred at the same time next year.

really :shock: i will reply that msg to my grandpa :D thanks

Latest posts