What would you do with 10K?

Help Support CattleToday:

Kingfisher

Reaction score
What model would you buy if you had 10,000 to purchase a tractor? Would you buy an older Massey Ferguson or John Deere or Ford?
They sell a lot of the imports around here and I just don't know what to think of them. I know that's not a lot of money toward a tractor
but for light dirt work and general farm duties I'm trying to be prudent in my search. I just don't want to buy one that's a proven headache to repair or source parts. What's ya'll experience been ? Thanks in advance.

I had really good experience with a Mahindra 4500 with loader. Good/strong and reliable. Best I remember tho it cost about $13,000 with the loader about 7 years ago. Would lift round bales easily and never had a mechanical problem. You might look at a little smaller tractor for light work.

Older Mahindra w/ Loader. You should be able to buy for 10k or a little less. I have a 485DI.

Boy it's hard to find clean used tractors in texas or oklahoma,about the only time they see a shed is when they hit one.I would buy a 4020 if I could find a nice one,but a 5000 ford like AC said would be a good tractor.My wifes grandpa has a 383 massey he loves it and has 6 or 7000 hour on it.

7600 Ford

On the other hand, I bought a 1990 model 7610 II with 1300 hrs on it 5 years ago for $12.5k, looked like new when I got it. Was looking for a 7600 at the time, but for the price I couldn't say no. It's a Tobacco Special, pretty nice in the hayfield.

You pay more for green so I tend to avoid it, but you can get some older open station models starting at $8,000. I have a dealer 5 miles away but part cost is unreasonable. They drive OK but it seems like they usually only go about 5000 hours before you start overhauling.
I run a Ford 7600 cab tractor that cost $8,900 after I had it fixed up. Good power but slow hyd and the short wheel base rides rough. They seem to hold up better than the 70s vintage green ones.
I have been buying 8 speed JI Case recently. They were built heavy in the day. "Late model" (1965) ran $4,300 after I had it fixed up -- about 4 cents per pound. ;-) I am able to get parts so far.

I think the issue with many older 60 to 90 hp tractors in my area is that they were "big" in the day and were used hard doing dirt work.

Queensland is a big sugar producer
The land gets worked over about 3 times before planting yearly
Massey Ferguson 175 178 188 all hold their value here
About $6500 for a good one USD$5000
30 inch wheels ,Perkins 4 cyl starts every time ,$25 for a diesel pump recondition kit, set of rings less than $100 and head recondition gasket set $85.

All in all good strong machine -recommended

Latest posts