What weights bring the most in fall

Help Support CattleToday:

bustedbudget

Reaction score
Hello,

I am Looking at picking up a few (5-10) calves and putting them on grass for the summer. Was wondering what weight I should buy. What brings the most in the fall? Is there any certian weight buyers for feed lots are looking for in the fall?

thanks,

bustedbudget":27ie52ls said:
Hello,

I am Looking at picking up a few (5-10) calves and putting them on grass for the summer. Was wondering what weight I should buy. What brings the most in the fall? Is there any certian weight buyers for feed lots are looking for in the fall?

thanks,
What is the main reason you are wanting to do this? If it were me, I would buy some 300-350 lbs steers,(if you can find them) and leave them on grass until fall. That should bring them around to a good weight by that time. The thing is, you might not realize the kind of profits you are hoping for, depending on what else you feed them, as well as meds, or vet bills thrown into the mix.

2/B or not 2/B":1cylfav1 said:
When you say 300-350 lb steers, does that just mean they were weaned early and sold light?

Could be they were weaned early, it could be that they were split at the sale barn. There's too many factors to consider.

Sometimes the neighbor's bull comes wandering in and the offspring get dumped. That especially happens in the purebred spreads when the offspring are obviously not was intended and hurt appearances.

The higher feed prices had everything upside down last year. Heavier weights were bringing more per pound than light weights at many of the auctions I went to. You just never know until you sell.

Latest posts