What Was The Use Of This?

Help Support CattleToday:

ga. prime

Reaction score
P1010855.jpg

Water tank or maybe a missle silo that fell over. If the ends are sloped it could have been a dip tank for range maggots.

dun!! I knew you'd get it. Dip tank is absolutely correct. I wasn't around then(or at least I don't remember back that far), but I believe(my Grandpappy was builder and user of this device) DDT is what was used here, in solution of course, for fly and other parasite control.

You need 2 things to know about these.

1. farm that has been around for a while.
2. old timer that has been around for a while.

My grandmothers farm / My dad.

Walk the cows right thru it and the dippin' is done!

Every old farm around here has one somewhere.

I thought it looked like a grave. :shock: Anywho - how did you get the cows to walk through it? Did there used to be an alleyway there or something?

ga. prime":1tao4tw8 said:
dun!! I knew you'd get it. Dip tank is absolutely correct. I wasn't around then(or at least I don't remember back that far), but I believe(my Grandpappy was builder and user of this device) DDT is what was used here, in solution of course, for fly and other parasite control.
there's one on my place a little bigger and been filled in with junk

Down here they called them dipping vats. They had to dip all the cattle to kill the ticks spreading tick fever.

ga. prime":2z66hvbv said:

we had a dipping vat on the place but it was about twice or thrice that long and a lot wider. it was an earthen one dug in a clay "hill". it was located right next to the dirt road like that, but when they paved the road it got filled in. there was also another hole near it but i dont remember what that one was for.

Latest posts