What was the name of your first horse?

Help Support CattleToday:

Billy Bow Legs. Welsh paint. Used to rub me off on trees and take me under limbs only he could fit under.

You know I hate to say I can't remember, he was a POA that my sisters and cousins all ran the stuffing out of. I remember calling it "the horse", but don't know it had a name. The way us kids ran it though, I bet is was in great shape, don't ever remember him broke down.

Wish I could remember his name.... good memories.

Alan

crickett - what a sweetheart, a very honest grade mare that didn't have a mean bone in her. sometimes when you'd first get on she'd try to turn around and go home, but wouldn't throw a fit about it. once you got her moving away from the rest of the horses she'd do anything you asked her. great horse to learn on and gain confidence on. currently riding her grand-daughter of the same name and temperment. i'm such a sentimental sucker for her (and her offspring), I've bred these grade mares just to keep one of her kids/grandkids around. plus, a good grade horse is more important to me and more valuable than a nasty registered one :)

His name was "Tony", a big old gentle blood bay Quarter Horse.
I was 7 years old when Mr. Perry delivered him to our place.

"Lady", a fleabit grey arab. Used to let the horses out on our yard "Grass" outside Phoenix, in the spring, and I remember her rolling, and getting little purple spots from the little wildflowers.

Scamper - a line-backed dun who was QH/Morgan cross. She was not real big, but what she lacked in size she more than made up in heart!

"Thumper"
He was a paint/Quarter Pony
He taught a lot of kids in his time how to ride.
In fact I had to put him to sleep a few weeks ago at the age of 37 :(
We got him when he was just a few years old.

Biscuit - little dun colored quarter pony type - my older sisters had all had him before - He was mine when I turned 3 and he was probably already 20 something!

My son's first was a little bay welsh cross pony - my husband called him Big Iron - he was a little proud cut and I had a bunch of mares on the place then - he was quite the herd stallion!

Maybe.

What an AWFUL name. "Maybe I won't buck you off today, Maybe I won't stop at the jumps, Maybe I'll canter for you, Maybe I won't bite... "

My next horse was Cloey, she was a doll :) I miss her to pieces!!

TCFC

Misty, he was an old grey shetland. Poor guy was foundered and had cushings. Didn't shed out in the summer. But he hauled us kids around, and when we were done we would just let him loose in the yard. I can remeber the day he died, he had gotten into a grain bin and overloaded on grain. I was about 5 or 6 at the time.

I remeber the next one better, Trixie, she was a little welsh cross mare. Grampa had her trained for me. I can remeber falling off, when she walked, when she stopped, when she trotted, when she stopped......

And then I got Appy. Had her for about 22 years when she died. Grew up on her, she was 2 I was 7.

Miami, but his registered name was Myama..chesnut ex-racehorse TB gelding..BIG JUMP on this guy and he loved to run.

I got married on him when he was 20. He was put down on my ranch due to compications from old age and is buried in my pasture

Tuffy

He lived up to that name too. :lol:

If you were working in the field and he was around, he would take off with tools, run off with your gloves, knock over the ladder so you couldn't get off the barn. :roll:
At feeding time, he would stand at the back fence holding his bucket in his mouth by its handle and stare at the house. When we got our daughter's horse, who was a bit older than Tuff, Tuff would pick up sticks and poke the older horse in the neck while he was sleeping. There were so many funny things he did, Tuff was truly a mischievous 5 year old. :lol:

He was loads of fun....

Diablo--I knew nothing about horses --bought him at a p.m.u. sale for ten dollars-he was 6 months old-never gelded him--he grew to be 16 hands high -- learned to ride on him --he was pretty showy-and a lot of people were scared of him---but you could set a kid on him and he wouldn,t move

carl

Latest posts