What Too Start With?

Help Support CattleToday:

Daworz

Reaction score
Ok here my qustion! I will be starting my own heard probably this fall and have about 100 aers(sp), in Southern Kentucky,I have too finsh up the last of the fence and the lean2 and it will be cattle ready. what would be a Good breed of cattle? My plans are too raise and sell. I would probably start out with a couple of heifers 1.5 old and go from there, My uncle has two Bulls down there i belive they are both Charolais both are Light brown. I would be useing them for breeding!

How are you planning on marketing your cattle? Direct marketing, some niche market or the salebarn. Go to your local salebarn if that is how you plan on marketing your animals and see what breed/breed composition are most in demand. For direct marketing or a niche market you'll need to determine what breed/breed composition best fills that market under your planned managment scenerio

I would also make sure you have some kind of facilities such as a catch pen or something.

Also you said you would start with some heifers and use someone elses bull. Make sure the bull is acceptable to breed heifers because as Caustic says that is a trainwreck waiting to happen, especially for a newcommer. You might want to start with some older calmer cattle that you can learn with.

I would advise that you contact your county ag agent and sign up for the Master Cattlemen classes. You should also talk to him about the CPH-45 sales to market your calves.

CSM

You may want to start with some cows instead of just heifers - especially if you plan on using bulls with them. Personally I prefer Angus or Hereford cross cattle, but it is really all dependant on what you plan to do with them

Are the bulls Charlolais cross? I have never seen a colored Charolais, my uncle's Charolais are all white.

Either way Welcome :D

100 acres is a nice chunk of pasture, should be plenty of feed for a couple heifers and a bull. Sounds like a good plan. Have your Uncle assist you in maybe getting a couple bred cows, from private or a herd dispersal. A couple heifers would be fine to. Make sure their of good size before breeding and be very sure to breed them to a low birth weight bull.

Hey thanks for all the information. I would love too take Master Cattlemen classes, But iam in Indiana and going to check on if they are offered here. I think the idea of starting out with cows makes good sence i could see turn around sooner. I just purchased a used head catcher the last time i was down there? I do still need to come up with a pen to seperate, but that can wait for now i think, I know iam still a Greenhorn and cant wait too get my feet wet, and be down there full time. The bulls! One is a dirty white colored and the other is dark Red i just assumed they were the same breed? He has two bulls with about 45 cows on different pasture, and right now he has about 20 cows and calves on my land he is waiting on the purchase of some more land that would connect his to mine (That we need). It has a pond on it as well. Iam right now leaning towards selling them at the sale barn. Iam not real sure what the predominate cattle breed is in this area, but thats something i would be finding out as well?

Daworz":1yl19hyk said:
Hey thanks for all the information. I would love too take Master Cattlemen classes, But iam in Indiana and going to check on if they are offered here. I think the idea of starting out with cows makes good sence i could see turn around sooner. I just purchased a used head catcher the last time i was down there? I do still need to come up with a pen to seperate, but that can wait for now i think, I know iam still a Greenhorn and cant wait too get my feet wet, and be down there full time. The bulls! One is a dirty white colored and the other is dark Red i just assumed they were the same breed? He has two bulls with about 45 cows on different pasture, and right now he has about 20 cows and calves on my land he is waiting on the purchase of some more land that would connect his to mine (That we need). It has a pond on it as well. Iam right now leaning towards selling them at the sale barn.
  • Iam not real sure what the predominate cattle breed is in this area
, but thats something i would be finding out as well?
id say angus would be predominate in that area. find some cheap good ol' hereford cows and put a angus bull on em

Horticattleman":2w6q5p70 said:
You might want to start with some older calmer cattle that you can learn with.

i couldnt agree more. when we first started we had a hereford mix and the youngest cow was probably 4 years old, so they were all expierenced mothers, older cows tend to calm down young steers or heifers, and older cows are easier to work in the corral or barn, and when you wean your calves older cows tend to get less bent out of shape over it. we ended up running them with a registered red angus bull and everything turned out fine!

Daworz":8dxjukha said:
Ok here my qustion! I will be starting my own heard probably this fall and have about 100 aers(sp), in Southern Kentucky,I have too finsh up the last of the fence and the lean2 and it will be cattle ready. what would be a Good breed of cattle? My plans are too raise and sell. I would probably start out with a couple of heifers 1.5 old and go from there, My uncle has two Bulls down there i belive they are both Charolais both are Light brown. I would be useing them for breeding!

First things first - learn to spell. Poorr gramer makes u look stoopid.
Secondly, go to Bluegrass Stockyards and WATCH the sale - if you still don't know what to raise, then sell the property and let someone else have a go at it.
Lastly, if you have cash in hand to purchase cattle, feed, fencing, etc. Think about putting that money somewhere else, I really don't think you're ready for this.

Daworz":31fir7ql said:
Hey thanks for all the information. I would love too take Master Cattlemen classes, But iam in Indiana and going to check on if they are offered here.

You are in Indiana? Don't start out trying to manage cattle 100 miles or more from where you are. Trying to calve heifers at that distance is not going to go well.

I had an history teacher one time than would take off points for spelling. I thought that was Dumb on her part as it did not address what it was her job to teach. Every onece in a while I think I have reverted back to jr. high when I am on these boards. Then I find out I am dumb because I do not use spell check or for that matter I guess I should know how to spell all the words in the first place. :mad:

To top it off they discourage potential cattle people from getting into the business, or hobby. :mad:

Bullbuyer":2wxw0rlu said:
Daworz":2wxw0rlu said:

First things first - learn to spell. Poorr gramer makes u look stoopid.
Secondly, go to Bluegrass Stockyards and WATCH the sale - if you still don't know what to raise, then sell the property and let someone else have a go at it.
Lastly, if you have cash in hand to purchase cattle, feed, fencing, etc. Think about putting that money somewhere else, I really don't think you're ready for this.

This is some good advice unless you have a good paying day job like I did when I got into this years ago.

People who live in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones!

Foolin' around, flies or founder???
Bullbuyer
Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:58 pm
Use the LA200 - over use of antibiotics is a big waste of money. Everybody thinks they have to go out and get the latest medication when their 'herd' gets a little something. Unless you have used SO much medication on this animal that it has developed a resistance to the medciation then there is absolutley no reason to use something else.
It's sort of like stopping a mosquito with a hand grenade - OVERKILL!

Daworz":2ojmqmgc said:
Hey thanks for all the information. I would love too take Master Cattlemen classes, But iam in Indiana and going to check on if they are offered here. I think the idea of starting out with cows makes good sence i could see turn around sooner. I just purchased a used head catcher the last time i was down there? I do still need to come up with a pen to seperate, but that can wait for now i think, I know iam still a Greenhorn and cant wait too get my feet wet, and be down there full time. The bulls! One is a dirty white colored and the other is dark Red i just assumed they were the same breed? He has two bulls with about 45 cows on different pasture, and right now he has about 20 cows and calves on my land he is waiting on the purchase of some more land that would connect his to mine (That we need). It has a pond on it as well. Iam right now leaning towards selling them at the sale barn. Iam not real sure what the predominate cattle breed is in this area, but thats something i would be finding out as well?

I might have missed this. But have you ever worked with cattle? I am planning on starting with cattle in about 16 months and am currently volunteering for a man that has 150 Black Angus herd. I just help and learn anyway I can, nothing like hands on experience. It has been really fun, dirty, hot, smelly. I can't quite explain looking face to face with a 1800 pd. bull.

Sir Loin":ghvszmhp said:
People who live in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones!

Foolin' around, flies or founder???
Bullbuyer
Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:58 pm
Use the LA200 - over use of antibiotics is a big waste of money. Everybody thinks they have to go out and get the latest medication when their 'herd' gets a little something. Unless you have used SO much medication on this animal that it has developed a resistance to the medciation then there is absolutley no reason to use something else.
It's sort of like stopping a mosquito with a hand grenade - OVERKILL!

Point well made and well taken! Score one for the gentleman from TN! Not going to try and spell your state - probably mess it up and end up with a little more egg on the face!!!

When are you going to be able to be closer to the property. Is your uncle going to manange them with his herd until you can get there?

What kind of cattle does your uncle raise? Does he do good with them?

Is your uncle willing to share facilities and equipment? I imagine, if he has cattle on the property now there are either working or loading pens in place.

PS: Absolutely dont use your uncles Bull. Thats just "a train wreck waiting to happen." Buy one from me instead! :lol: 8)

Latest posts