What to use as walking surface and build up?

Help Support CattleToday:

machslammer

Reaction score
So,

We got our chute and then scales set up under them on a concrete pad; that was put down 4" in the ground. 2 problems.. 1) My dad is short 5'5 and can no longer reach the back handle for opening the tailgate of the chute since the chute sits up an extra 6". 2) The rear of the chute is up 5-6" and calves are not really wanting to step up in it..
So, what can and should I put down in my lane and around the pen to build it up? Rock, gravel, concrete, or what? If rock or gravel is an answer, what size would you use? I don't want it to hurt the cattle's feet, but also don't want it to bury in the ground and dissappear..

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

I use "screenings" from our local stone quarry. It is like course sand & dust, & will pack down like cement. :tiphat:

Recycled or crushed concrete. Packs great and is cheap. Screenings will work but will need to be maintained better than crushed concrete.

I wouldnt use clean stone. It wont pack as good as even modified stone which will have fines and smaller stone pieces mixed in with the 3/4.

They are called Limestone screenings round here. Fairly cheap. I used them in muddy areas. Order them dry and put right over the deep hoof prints kinda peers down to something firm and frims the area up.

How about some cow mats out of a tiestall barn or around here we also have bunch people used to have rubber mats to that they used to put on the slats for baby pigs? Some of them are a good 2-4" thick and last long time in a alley.....

Id put geotextile fabric down first. Then some bigger stone ( #1 limestone in our area ) then choke the big stuff off with a finer 1.25" down to dust ( 2a ).

We're trying out mining dust this year. Some people around our area have used it. Once it gets packed with a little water get almost as hard as concrete and seems to hold up well. Hopefully we get the same rests. Seems good so far.

Latest posts