What to look for when buying Brahman

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven":3i5swpm6 said:
Caustic Burno":3i5swpm6 said:
With 20% higher weaning weight that brings top dollar at the salebarn I don't care what they do with it when it gets to Greely Co.
O wait they are standing right next to Angus there and out producing them.

But isn't that mostly skin and ears?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Brahma-Men-s ... 3=&veh=sem

All that leather is good for something, they even named the boots after them. Because Brahma is tough as leather...literally.

The Brahman steers whipped the "Simms" and "Simbrahs" in the Houston carcass contest. About even with most other breeds. Champion carcass was an American. Average Prime and YG 2, sired by a Brangus bull. Brahman influenced cattle can grade.

GAIN EFFICIENCY & CARCASS QUALITY
Brahman hybrid calves and those out of Brahman F-1 cows are noted for their fast gains, and it's a fact that these calves consistently produce more weight per day of age than most other breed contemporaries. Brahman cross calves are more desirable to feed in many parts of the country during hot, humid months when the feed efficiency of European and British calves and crosses decreases. The ability of these Brahman cross cattle to finish during warm seasons is a definite economic factor in their favor.

While efficiency is an important quality of the Brahman and its crosses, the carcasses are known for their high cutability, which results in a high yielding carcass with limited fat. In a recent study conducted by Texas A&M, Angus and Hereford cows were bred to Brahman bulls. The resulting steers were handled as calf-feds going directly into the feedlot at weaning. The steers were fed for 180 days and slaughtered at 13-14 months. The first calf crops produced 89 steers, with no death loss experienced postweaning. Of those fed, 58 percent of the steers graded Choice, with the rest in the window of acceptability.

Tenderness readings using the Warner-Bratzler Shear-Force Test were taken at 0, 7 and 14 days. With this data, a rating of 10 pounds or less is considered satisfactory for supermarket sales, while a rating of 8.7 pounds or less is desirable for steaks utilized in quality restaurants. Eighty-four of the 89 samples were below the 10 pound level at 14 days with the best rating being 5.7 pounds.

MILK PRODUCTION
Add more beef to your milk program with the American Brahman! The American Brahman is known the world over for their crossbreeding excellence, however many dairy producers in the southern United States and South and Central America also utilize the American Brahman in crossbreeding with dairy breeds. These dual purpose animals are the future of the cattle industry in the tropics. Using American Brahmans in the tropics will result in adaptability, fertility, disease resistance and longevity. American Brahman genetics give you heavier weaning weights, more quality beef, and more salvage value at production termination. They also add additional butter fat content and protein, as well as increased production and net income.

It just aint fair that cattlemen on the gulf coast can raise more pounds of beef on fewer acres and still grade as well as other breeds.

There probably should be a bunch of taxes on us to make life fair.

Also, we need to start smacking smart kids upside the head. It ain't fair they work harder.

While we are at it let's pass a few laws restricting anyone who is better looking than me, too. Nobody should be better than anybody else at anything.

Brahman cattle compete with Mexican cattle for the same market. There's no question that Brahman cattle work good for the producers in the south - southeast. You can post whatever and twist the facts, but the majority of the feedlots don't want heavily influenced Brahman cattle. And anyone that thinks different needs to take a road trip.

TennesseeTuxedo":3mf22poo said:
Remind me again how many purebred Brahman cattle you're currently running Caustic?

None just 1/2 breeds the premium ones that bring premium price.
I bet it's rough TT being an Angus snowflake having to eat all that CAB :bs:

True Grit Farms":3741xqxu said:
Brahman cattle compete with Mexican cattle for the same market. There's no question that Brahman cattle work good for the producers in the south - southeast. You can post whatever and twist the facts, but the majority of the feedlots don't want heavily influenced Brahman cattle. And anyone that thinks different needs to take a road trip.

Not hardly Grit the American Brahman was developed in Texas for the environment. Look up Shanghi Pierce. It worked so well they spread like wildfire through the south.Kind of like all those fine Chars that used Brahman as a foundation to produce the American Char.

I think we've seen here that there are more than a few CAB producers (and others producers, too) who put something different in their own freezers ... Jersey and Jersey X ...

True Grit Farms":2qdpdik9 said:

Producers raise what they raise for many reasons. Charlie Boyd Sr. Loved his Hereford but Charlie Boyd Jr. raises Angus because that is what the market dictated. The market is the final word. A wise man listens.

Caustic Burno":uss92810 said:
True Grit Farms":uss92810 said:

Not hardly Grit the American Brahman was developed in Texas for the environment. It worked so well they spread like wildfire through the south.Kind of like all those fine Chars that used Brahman as a foundation to produce the American Char.

Your right there also Chars don't grade well either in the feedlots. A Brahman or Charolais crossed with Angus works good, and the Charolais cross works better for the feedlots. All I can tell you, is to crawl out from under that rock and travel around and tour different feedlots and ask questions. Brahman cattle work good and are profitable for the producers, not so much for the feedlots. Anywhere people have money and choices they don't intentionally buy Brahman cattle to eat.

WalnutCrest":2s6h5cb3 said:
I think we've seen here that there are more than a few CAB producers (and others producers, too) who put something different in their own freezers ... Jersey and Jersey X ...

Jersey is fine eating and make an excellent cross with Brahman. Recent sale here those heifers averaged 2500 a piece.
Had a Jersey girl in my pasture for years she would even go squirrel hunting with me she follow you like a dog.
Guernsey makes a fine cross as well just don't see them or Brown Swiss anymore.

See Raven that is what you think the market dictates.
An Angus will be middle of the pack through the sale ring here.

True Grit Farms":1badk229 said:
Caustic Burno":1badk229 said:
True Grit Farms":1badk229 said:

Not hardly Grit the American Brahman was developed in Texas for the environment. It worked so well they spread like wildfire through the south.Kind of like all those fine Chars that used Brahman as a foundation to produce the American Char.

Your right there also Chars don't grade well either in the feedlots. A Brahman or Charolais crossed with Angus works good, and the Charolais cross works better for the feedlots. All I can tell you, is to crawl out from under that rock and travel around and tour different feedlots and ask questions. Brahman cattle work good and are profitable for the producers, not so much for the feedlots. Anywhere people have money and choices they don't intentionally buy Brahman cattle to eat.

That's funny when 80% of the worlds beef supply is Brahman influenced.

True Grit Farms":1u1b1vpd said:
Influenced being the kicker, and 80% of the world's population can't afford a prime steak either.

That is because most purebred cattle can't compete in pounds and longevity.
Secondly I bet 99% couldn't tell Water Buffalo from Angus set in front of them.
Don't fall in the indoctrination trap so many have.
If Musk Ox performed better and brought a premium I would be running them.

Caustic Burno":o3kjot5e said:
True Grit Farms":o3kjot5e said:
Influenced being the kicker, and 80% of the world's population can't afford a prime steak either.

That is because most purebred cattle can't compete in pounds and longevity.
Secondly I bet 99% couldn't tell Water Buffalo from Angus set in front of them.
Don't fall in the indoctrination trap so many have.
If Musk Ox performed better and brought a premium I would be running them.

You'd have to be blind and toothless not to tell the difference between these steaks.

Grit the average American consumer only looks at one thing when purchasing protein and that is price. Why do you think 80% of all beef is being ground no matter the breed. You are not competing against prime steak your competing with box beef from all over the world.
Now if you were talking tennis shoes etc I would agree with you.

Probably in over my head as I don't worry much about breed.
I will say I can't imagine why if given a choice anyone would run anything but a black Angus bull. And a cow herd with Brahman and or horned Hereford influence is hard to beat.

While not real popular here, I've been around a fair amount of simm cattle. Got a few right now. Always good calves will generally be amongst the biggest. But they are also the softest cattle I've been around. The cows fall apart have soft feet and soft mouths. As long as they can live the good life , get good groceries without walking to far on hard ground, I'm sure their great.

Striving for the quickest growing, with nothing else factored in...well , sounds kind like chicken to me

Fence we are already headed the way of chicken and pork.
In thirty years guys like us won't be here. Cattle will be womb to tomb in houses just like chicken and pork.
Fence when I was a journeyman butcher 50 years ago beef arrived to the store in quarters today from ribeye to hamburger comes boxed from anywhere in the world .

Latest posts