what to look for in a ground load trailer

Help Support CattleToday:

Low to the ground, slider and swinging rear gate, everything else is the same as for any other trailer used for hauling livestock.

dun

Are you looking at a semi (fifth wheel) or a gooseneck. The only problem I see with some of the 40' single axles as well as the 40' goosenecks is if it has a single 20K axle or two 10K axles, if you load the back heavy, you will exceed axle ratings pretty quick. Not a problem on the semis over 40' as most of them have two axles. If getting a gooseneck, I'd upgrade to two 12,000 pound axles with elec/hyd brakes and you should be okay.

This site has some pretty good weight information for the fifth wheel groundloads.

http://www.mcelroytrailers.com/Specs.htm

If you want a gooseneck, there's a place at at Jacksonville TX that will see this trailer for 15,000:

1447594_1.jpg

Other than what Dun already mentioned. I prefer Aluminum, center gate (maybe two depending on length), and an escape door. Make sure the center gates open easily from the outside.

I also prefer Torsion axles and opposed to leaf spring setups but then that's just me. I prefer 16 inch wheels as high load capacity tires can be found in that size almost everywhere.

What do you think of the middle section being lower? How long should the back section be? I would like to load two or three horses in it if it doesn't get to long and drag. I have seen some with doors that swing all the way back to side and others to get you some get out of the way room when loading.
Thanks for your help oh this will be on a semi truck.

huntinghorse11":pu60sh2h said:
What do you think of the middle section being lower?

Only con I see for the lower middle is that the compartment over the neck may be only 5.5' or 6' tall - good for horses but too short for horses.

How long should the back section be? I would like to load two or three horses in it if it doesn't get to long and drag.

Most I've seen have 8' tail section so there should be more than enough room for 3 horses since most ground loaders are 7.5 - 8' wide also.

I have seen some with doors that swing all the way back to side and others to get you some get out of the way room when loading.
Thanks for your help oh this will be on a semi truck.

The semi should be 8' wide but most I've seen have a rear cut gate (seperating the rear load dock from the middle of the trailer) that is 6' - 6.5' wide leaving a one or two foot stationary section next to the curb side for the trailer. Some also have the other cut gates the same way. The only bad part about the other gate not opening all the way flat to the side is that if you leave them open with a load, you've got some wasted space in a triangle behind the gate. However, with trailer this long, you'll probably want to use all the gates.

Aluminum is nice but it'll take lots of trucking to pay off a $46,000 trailer

http://www.truckpaper.com/listings/detail.aspx?OHID=1342474&guid=33da4b7ad73544d7b53a466f0a9ee774

74579077.jpg

Sorry Guys this is pretty off subject. I have a 1989 Titan Stock Trailer. I need to know where I can find the rubber rollers for the slider? I really cant find anything on the internet. I am pretty stupid when it comes to searching the internet. Thanks for any information! :)

Latest posts