What to feed?

Help Support CattleToday:

Does this salt mixture get added to the dry feed? Does it come in a 50# bag? What's the ~cost? Thanks for all the good info...

Am I the only one that doesn;t see the sense in propping them up with a feed sack?

dun

dun":mtstgiin said:
Am I the only one that doesn;t see the sense in propping them up with a feed sack?

dun
You're not the only one Dun. Around here, it's been a necessity, after the lack of rainfall we had, in the Summer and Fall.Whatever Pastures reamained have low nutritional value.So is most of the Hay this year, looks fair, but I've seen a lot better.

dun":26f49p67 said:

dun
well pushing these heifer's to calve as two year old's i feed mine a little every day.i dont believe in throwing money away on a hard doer though.but i dont care to spend a little on a good one to reach her full potentail.

ALACOWMAN":1sn4rrc0 said:
dun":1sn4rrc0 said:

dun
well pushing these heifer's to calve as two year old's i feed mine a little every day.i dont believe in throwing money away on a hard doer though.but i dont care to spend a little on a good one to reach her full potentail.

Even on mediocre pasture they should, except during particularly cold oul weather, be able to gain during the winter. When the pasture comes on to the spring flush there should be compensatory gain that will get them to breeding weight. Maybe more selction pressure should be put on the animals to perform on the available forage base. In the long term it will make the herd consist of more easy doers.

dun

dun":3nv3pmxi said:
ALACOWMAN":3nv3pmxi said:
dun":3nv3pmxi said:

dun

Even on mediocre pasture they should, except during particularly cold oul weather, be able to gain during the winter. When the pasture comes on to the spring flush there should be compensatory gain that will get them to breeding weight. Maybe more selction pressure should be put on the animals to perform on the available forage base. In the long term it will make the herd consist of more easy doers.

dun
your right of course just my preferance like the protien tubs i put out for the moma cows they can live with out it.

TurnThatCowLooseMaw":33aakfft said:
I would continue to creep feed. My friends cows are having 840-900 pound weaning weights. This is off black baldie heifers bred to an angus bull.
hey feller your starting to scare me just a tad you aint who i think you is are you :cboy:

ALACOWMAN":zm1u2jzr said:
TurnThatCowLooseMaw":zm1u2jzr said:
I would continue to creep feed. My friends cows are having 840-900 pound weaning weights. This is off black baldie heifers bred to an angus bull.
hey feller your starting to scare me just a tad you aint who i think you is are you :cboy:

I think he is who you think he is...................too!

TurnThatCowLooseMaw":3bojiz1k said:
Where in TN. are you? I really would love to come by and see these Calves that are weaning wts. at 840-900 lbs. I've got trucks and trailers ready to come get em'.Can you get me in touch with your friend?

TurnThatCowLooseMaw":3q4ch0d8 said:

I detect an anomaly here. I would like some of those cows myself!

Crowderfarms":1tw68b12 said:
TurnThatCowLooseMaw":1tw68b12 said:
Where in TN. are you? I really would love to come by and see these Calves that are weaning wts. at 840-900 lbs. I've got trucks and trailers ready to come get em'.Can you get me in touch with your friend?

how far are you from Dayton, Crowder?

txag":36z49zy3 said:
Crowderfarms":36z49zy3 said:
TurnThatCowLooseMaw":36z49zy3 said:

how far are you from Dayton, Crowder?
Bout 2.5 hours. TxAg, Wanna ride down there with me? Might need a witness. ;-)

dun":3tan17qf said:

dun
But, this person has these heifers that are toooo small and he wants to breed them this spring. If they are too poor a quality, the grain will never get them to proper breeding size.

And, not all of us have PASTURE this time of year. Rabbit tracks and snowballs don't put on very much weight gain :D

Are you sure of their weights? That really seems light for a ten month old heifer of the cross you are talking about. I guess we're just fortunate in this area as the local feedstore has a weight scale and where my cows are the guy has a weight scale.

Mineral blocks aren't worth a hoot in my opinion. You aren't getting the proper minerals. Right Now does have a breeding mineral (Onyx) but its not high enough in Vitamin E in my opinion. You might try that about 60 days before you start breeding.

If your heifer weights are correct, then you are behind and you might consider increasing your feed (maybe add some corn).
For the last month I've been giving mine (14 total) a 50 lb sack of cracked corn twice a week. I had to cull one charx heifer because she started losing weight and I want easy keepers.
They have a 15-20 acre passture and free choice good grass hay. If the almanac is right and we have a mild february it won't take much for the pasture to green up because you can still see some green out there.

Best of luck to you.

Latest posts