What to do...

Help Support CattleToday:

Craig

Reaction score
I have been putting together a small herd of heifers with intentions of having them bred in the spring. I have bought all my stock by private treaty so far. Today I went to a local sale barn to get a bit of a feel for fair market prices. I watched several nice looking cow/calf pairs go through, as well as single cows. Tried to bid on a couple, lost out after taking to long to make up my mind. I really had no intentions of buying today, but the prices seemed hard to beat. Anyway, I have another group of heifers to go look at, but the sale prices make me think I should be buying cows or pairs. The best bang for the buck seems to be the cows or pairs. 1300-1700lb pairs went for $1150-1425. So what should a guy do? Buy more heifers for 1.40 or go to pairs/bred cows to start calving in 2012 and have the heifers for 2013? :help: :bang:

Personally I think the best bang for your buck is 3/1. Bred cow with a heifer calf at side. You can build a small herd fast this way. If I could not be sure that the cow is bred I would go for the cow with heifer calf at side. :welcome: :tiphat:

I would go with bred cows and pairs. You can recoup most of your expense on the sale of the first calves. Heifers not bred will take awhile to show profit.

The problem with pairs or 3/1's is that I can't find what I want. I'm looking for herefords and they are not that common in my area. At least going the heifer route I get what I really want for brood stock. The lower prices make me almost think about changing breeds! :hide:

Craig":3ikug0b6 said:
The problem with pairs or 3/1's is that I can't find what I want. I'm looking for herefords and they are not that common in my area. At least going the heifer route I get what I really want for brood stock. The lower prices make me almost think about changing breeds! :hide:

Drive down here and I will sell you some and they won't be cheap you can bet your ass on that.

B&M Farms":2g53rhx0 said:
I would go with bred cows and pairs. You can recoup most of your expense on the sale of the first calves. Heifers not bred will take awhile to show profit.

Just to make sure that I am understanding Bred cows are pregnant cows and pairs are mother and calf, correct?

Do they disclose what the pregnant cow was bred with?

What if cow turns out not to be pregnant, does this ever happen?

3/1's is what I am going with myself for first timer..lol I hope it all works out good for you also :)

Stepbystep":ho1q30mm said:
B&M Farms":ho1q30mm said:

Just to make sure that I am understanding Bred cows are pregnant cows and pairs are mother and calf, correct?

Buying at the salebarn is not for rookies, it is buyer beware. The cow will have her teeth checked and aged as palpated.
Now when this girl hit's the ring she might have a 5 by 5 painted on her. This means she is five years old by five months bred. Now this is where you can get into trouble real quick if you haven't done your homework. The salebarn is for those with a discering eye and willing to pull an empty trailer home.
The guy running his hand up her ass has no idea what she is breed too she is just bred.
I only buy heavies through the barn middle aged to short and solid.
As soon as they get to the house I put them in a chute put a pair of nose tong's on them and perform a dental exam.
Second step is a shot of bio shield and to the quarantine lot they go.
You better have a hell of a lott to hold them, they have been poked, prodded, hauled and they are not at home and want to go back now.

Craig":fbhd5h0b said:

That in itself should tell you that herefords apparently are not what buyers are wanting in your area. I haven't been to a sale in ages but in times past it was next to impossible to buy 3:1's.....auctioneer most times will split teh pair and sell the calf and then the cow. Course you can buy both and put them back together but usually cost extra.

Herefords tend to run higher than other breeds around here. Its not that they don't want them, there's just not enough of them. All the breeders I've talked to have said they are really gaining in popularity. You respond to an add for some and they are usually gone right away!

Caustic Burno":vtmlj2ie said:
Stepbystep":vtmlj2ie said:
B&M Farms":vtmlj2ie said:

Buying at the salebarn is not for rookies, it is buyer beware. The cow will have her teeth checked and aged as palpated.
Now when this girl hit's the ring she might have a 5 by 5 painted on her. This means she is five years old by five months bred. Now this is where you can get into trouble real quick if you haven't done your homework. The salebarn is for those with a discering eye and willing to pull an empty trailer home.
The guy running his hand up her ass has no idea what she is breed too she is just bred.
As soon as they get to the house I put them in a chute put a pair of nose tong's on them and perform a dental exam.
You better have a be nice of a lott to hold them, they have been poked, prodded, hauled and they are not at home and want to go back now.

As always Bruno, thanks for the clarification and education. I still have a great deal to learn and as always thank you for tolerating my questions

Stepbystep":37fh2xde said:
B&M Farms":37fh2xde said:

Why yes they do.....around here they are all bred to a"black" , high-altitude" "low birthweight" ," good doin" bull. and they are all for sure "The right kind"

Oh and one more thing they all got "Hair like bear so's they will get fat eating nuthin but snow this winter" :nod:

Caustic Burno":2ijjyf33 said:
Stepbystep":2ijjyf33 said:
B&M Farms":2ijjyf33 said:

You better have a be nice of a lott to hold them, they have been poked, prodded, hauled and they are not at home and want to go back now.

Some of the best advice you will ever get. Went home empty many of a time, but there were times I should have bought something and time I should not have.

I will add, get a price set in your mind when you go and bid up to it. If you get to thinking about it when the bidding is going on you will be the loser every time. I like to get to the sale early and look around, set my prices before starting.

Caustic Burno":39ta8x35 said:
The salebarn is for those with a discering eye and willing to pull an empty trailer home.

Great advice. I sometimes go to the barn just to sit and watch. You can get a good education by just observing the good and bad (mostly) that go thru the ring. Heck, last spring I went to observe and there wasn't a single cow I would even allow to step foot on my property, nevermind buy one.

More sound advice. All you need to do is throw a sale barn cow out with your herd and have them come down with whatever disease/illness it has. Could instantly ruin what you have built.

Especially newly weaned (or just pulled) calves. Straight for the fences they will go. (ask me how I know :lol: )

Buying bred cows around here you start bidding as soon as you see something you like. You have about 10 seconds to see how old she is, how far along she is, how she acts in the ring, what her bag and teats look like,her conformation, what you would pay for her and stop bidding if you don't like her.And you still don't know what she was bred to although right now any calf is worth enough to get back most of your money. Not for the inexperienced and everyone can end up bringing something home that isn't what they thought it would be.

If your wanting to raise registered Herefords or stay with the same breed, you may have to buy heifers or at least bred heifers private treaty or private auction. If your strictly commercial your leaving a lot of money on the table buy not crossbreeding though.

Latest posts