What Steven King thinks about our troops

Help Support CattleToday:

Maineshowgirl

Reaction score
Every one of us has a different view of the war in Iraq. Though we may not all agree about it, I think that we all support the troops that are serving our country. For anyone that has served or has known some that has this is what world famous writer Steven King thinks of our troops.

"I don't want to sound like an ad, a public service ad on TV, but the fact is if you can read, you can walk into a job later on. If you don't, then you've got, the Army, Iraq, I don't know, something like that. It's, it's not as bright. So, that's my little commercial for that."

It seems to me that he is saying that our troops are the people that flunk out of school or the people that do not do well in school. I have no intention of ever buying another book by him! This man uses the freedom provided by the very people that he is insulting to sell millions of books. This freedom has made this man a multi-millionaire. If you want to see and hear him say this himself here is the link:

I do support our troops.

But I am missing out on something here. How can you support our troops and not what they're doing.

If you had a sister or mother who was a callgirl would you support her.

I kind of find it hard to support someone but not what they are doing.

And before you tell me they were orderd to do it, remember nobody in today's military were drafted.
Not meaning this at you Mainshowgirl. And I really never cared for Stephen anyhow.

Cal

hraz":1vxcznsd said:
In what context was this said?

Yeah, folks have a way of taking things out of context when they quote famous people. I didn't find anything on Snopes about it, but then I am tired and I am gonna go take a nap.

Had a friend send it to me thought I may see what yall said I really dont read much matter of fact I dont every remember picking up a Steve King book. I dont like the plots just isnt my thing lol

I've read at least a dozen Stephen King books. I have no interest at all one way or the other in anything he might have said about whatever. The last one I read was probably 15 years ago. I stopped reading his books because I decided I'd had enough of the supernatural horror genre. He wrote some good ones.

I stopped reading him because he stopped writing horror. He's good at it. Instead he starts to publish stuff like The Girl Who Loved Tom Parker, about a little girl lost in the woods with a transister radio. Good, but I want The Shining or The Stand.

Lammie":38uas45k said:
I stopped reading him because he stopped writing horror. He's good at it. Instead he starts to publish stuff like The Girl Who Loved Tom Parker, about a little girl lost in the woods with a transister radio. Good, but I want The Shining or The Stand.
"The Stand" was a great book. My favorite King novel. How do you underscore those book titles, Lammie?

Ohhhh, I like the Stephen King earlier books. Christine scared the honk outta me...well, so did Pet Cemetery...and It.

Lammie, I have to agree...when he got away from the horror, I got away from his books. Some of them preached for chapter upon chapter saying the same blasted thing. I was able to stay interested in The Girl Who Loved Tom Parker, but it just didn't do much for me.

Alice

I got teed off at him for dragging his feet so long on finishing that Gunslinger/Dark Tower series. Coming soon doesn't mean seven years later. Never read another one of his books.

ga. prime":3gqk1fbq said:
Lammie":3gqk1fbq said:
"The Stand" was a great book. My favorite King novel. How do you underscore those book titles, Lammie?

I use the underscore icon up top, third one from the left. Highlight and click.

Jogeephus":1t42f20x said:
I got teed off at him for dragging his feet so long on finishing that Gunslinger/Dark Tower series. Coming soon doesn't mean seven years later. Never read another one of his books.

Well, I don't know when he started that, but I will cut him some slack since he did get hit by a car and it scrambled his brains for a while.

Ever seen Kingdom Hospital? Now that's a freaky mini series. Giant anteaters... strange. Good, though.

I have never seen a Stephen King novel adapt well to a movie. They all have hokie endings. The Shining comes close, and that's cause Stanley Kubric directed. The first one with Jack Nicholson. "Heeer's Johnny!!" And it was not true to the ending. I just develop a vision of what I think characters should look like, and if they don't look like that on the big screen I don't like it. He had a collection of short stories called Night Shift and they are all good. And my fave is
The Tommyknockers. Now that's a good book. I make Tommyknocker jokes all the time.

Thanks for the underscore info, lammie. I agree, most film adaptations of his books have been awful. Exceptions in my opinion are Stand By Me, Dolores Claiborne, and Misery.

Lammie":eq50jxn1 said:
Jogeephus":eq50jxn1 said:

Well, I don't know when he started that, but I will cut him some slack since he did get hit by a car and it scrambled his brains for a while.

Didn't know he got hit by a car. But that just makes my point more valid (in my weird way of reasoning) cause what would have happened if he had died? I'd had a heck of a story that left me hanging in a void. When I got hooked on the story I assumed it was a finished work and didn't know he had not even completed the darn thing. I was utterly disappointed in him cause I was really in to the story. Just didn't seem right selling unfinished work. What if GMC sold you a new truck and then informed you they would put a motor in it when they got around to it - assuming they didn't go out of business in the mean time.

ga. prime":bfa2pv67 said:
Thanks for the underscore info, lammie. I agree, most film adaptations of his books have been awful. Exceptions in my opinion are Stand By Me, Dolores Claiborne, and Misery.

You are right. Delores Claiborne was a good book, not of the horror genre. It was one of the last of his books I read, and only recently saw the movie. Likewise, Stand By Me is a good movie. I think it was a short story, was it not? Misery was just a hard movie to watch. Cathy Bates was great. Very convincing.

Jo, the trouble with authors is that when someone at the GMC factory dies, they can hire another person to take that spot on the line. When an author dies, everything in that head dies, too. He was badly injured and it took him a couple of years to fully recover. He was out walking, I think, and got hit by a van.

Sadly, I think he's right. Most people seem to view the military as the job of last resort.

They run news stories all the time about the poor soldiers that are deployed to Iraq or Afganistan. Golly, they joined up for the college education. They had no clue that being in the service might actually mean going to war.........

But they did volunteer.

Fire away !!

Latest posts