What race of Bull ?

Help Support CattleToday:

zkrioka

Reaction score
I have a herd of 2 3 4 5 year old cows all hybrid polled herefords, black and red angus. I have made some selection of cows based on past performance. Currently I have a mixed black angus bull. Next week I am going to a local fair where there will be all kinds of pure breed bulls. Thinking of putting out $$$ to buy a bull. Any suggestions as to breed ?

SO if I understood that right you have Red and Black Baldies??? There are a lot of ways you can go right now depending on what you think your herd needs and where you are marketing the calves. If you want to keep it a simple two way cross you can come back with the Hereford and follow that with the Angus in 3 to 5 years. If you want to try to maximize growth and heterosis you might want to try a Charolais. If you would rather avoid adding yellows and greys (I am not a big color guy) a Black Gelbvieh would be good. Some people would come with Brangus right now to produce "Super Baldies".

The big thing you need is a plan. Target your breeding decisions towards what you want to accomplish with your cattle. Are you trying to maximize pounds at the local sale barn? Or is your focus on producing more females? Or are you trying to market your calves into a program like CAB or CHB? Come up with a plan for your herd and breeding questions are easier to answer.

Also cattle breeds are linebred creations of human cattle breeders(hopefully) to improve the cattle available to the breeders at the time and maximize the expression of the good genes and are NOT "races" which are created by either God or by natural selection.

I would keep that cattle all one color. If you have more black then use a black angus, or if you have more reds then use red angus. This way you can keep your options open. If they are pretty much black/red with white faces you will surely have a market for your replacement heifer calves. Ussually if you can sell your heifer calves as replacements you will get more for them than you will your steers. Then alot of the time the feeder calves will bring a premium if marketed as angus cattle. After you keep heifers out of this cross, then go back with a hereford to keep the high bred vigor alive.

On a herd painted like that be hard to go wrong with a good Hereford or Char bull. Red baldies and black baldies bring top dollar here as well as them yellow and smoky influenced Char. calves.

Caustic Burno":20rk7u8e said:
On a herd painted like that be hard to go wrong with a good Hereford or Char bull. Red baldies and black baldies bring top dollar here as well as them yellow and smoky influenced Char. calves.

See! the world IS coming to an end. Caustic Burno just recommended someone use a Charolais.

zkrioka":26q52g4v said:
I have a herd of 2 3 4 5 year old cows all hybrid polled herefords, black and red angus. I have made some selection of cows based on past performance. Currently I have a mixed black angus bull. Next week I am going to a local fair where there will be all kinds of pure breed bulls. Thinking of putting out $$$ to buy a bull. Any suggestions as to breed ?

Black may be right. But smokies and creams are bringing more money and there will be 20 t0 30 more pounds to sell per calf.
Charolais is the way to go.
okcowgirl

okcowgril":1xk9oxib said:
zkrioka":1xk9oxib said:

Black may be right. But smokies and creams are bringing more money and there will be 20 t0 30 more pounds to sell per calf.
Charolais is the way to go.
okcowgirl
WHAAAAAT

Purebred Black Maine-Anjou

Increase Hybrid Vigor
Add Bone = More Pounds
Increase Muscle = More Red Meat
Docility = Less Work
Great Maternal Traits
Keep 'em Black

I do not mind color to look at but I agree with Cattle Rack Rancher. Keep them a uniform color it seems to pay better.

DD RANCH":2tkfetey said:
There's 2 kind's of cattle in the world Black Angus cattle and all the rest.Breed em black angus.

I never have understood this mentallity. I guess since I wasn't raised around "black" cattle I never developed the love for them that certain people have.
I agree that angus is a good breed but I was told along time ago that once you are satisfied with your performance, you will never get any better.

Latest posts