What problems with coming calf?

Help Support CattleToday:

travlnusa

Reaction score
Bought a bred heifer that is due in the next 7-10 days.

She has never had mineral in front of her. Seller says he puts up good hay and does not need it.

What health issues might I expect when she delivers?

What do I need on hand to deal with it?

Thanks

A and D injectable
e/sel...vit e and selinium
vet on speed dial incase of milking fever
retained placenta, talk to a vet
poor colostrum I would get a powder colostrum to have on hand to give the calf just because.
poor calf...give calf shots of A D e/sel
possible scours for the calf
possible birthing problems for the momma

more than likely no mineral, no vaccinations...watch out

Good luck,
RR

Good point about the lack of vaccinations. I will keep her seperated until I can get a handle on that.

You mentioned A E D and Sel. Can one buy that at farm store or is that vet only?

Thanks

I don't know if your in a selenium deficient area. Feeding no mineral would scare the turds out of me. I would suggest a shot of MuSe (Selenium) for the cow. If the calf inside is selenium deficient you could have some real problems on hand. I'm not trying to scare you (actually I am). I bought two cows last year that came in poor condition. The first calved out a 60lb bull calf that would not eat. I had to tube him twice a day. Ultimately he died. The other cow I gave a shot of BoSe. She still had a small calf, but he had his witts and ate fine. This year both have calved. The cow who's calf died had an 88lb heifer and the other had a 75lb heifer. Both calves had no problems. I keep mineral in front of my cows every single day. You can give the calf BoSe. In my state (Washington), we have to get it from the vet. I would get that cow on some good groceries, today. Good Luck and I hope you are just fine. :compute:

Does she appear healthy? don't know as I'd be too stressed about it. Bo-Se or Multimin shot might not be a bad idea. Still, I know an old rancher who only feeds hay and puts out salt for the cows, no minerals, and has very few health issues.

Ok ~ you can get shot at feed store but our vets mix specifically for this area's needs. It is better, more complete and precise ~ specific.

Do have pkg colostum on hand BEFORE baby comes, as well as other stuff mentioned.

Try to keep her in the environment she will be calving in, helps her to be calmer as she is unfamiliar with environment and calving process ~ is a lot of new stuff happening for her.

Let her do what she needs to do when the time comes. Pay attention, be aware, but do not interfere if you don;t need to. This is something I have to remind myself ~ I want to be too much a part of the process sometimes, and maybe make the momma nervous. Is especially a concern with heifers. On the other hand (sorry if this seems I am contradicting myself, I do not mean to confuse), if you need to step in, do so. She may need assistance and you may need to help. Read back posts, there is a lot of good info on "when and if".

Also consider that things may go just fine. Yes, you still need to dip the naval, give the shot and vaccinate. But she may calf on her own, and be a good mom. You may want to consider giving the pkg colostrum regardless. Hers may not be adequate in value, and the pkg stuff is very good/very complete. That way there will be no doubts in that area.

Continue to do your homework between now and then. Ask questions for clarification if needed. Good luck ~ is a fun thing to have new babies :nod:

I am a strong believer in minerals & vaccinations. But, if the heifer is in good BCS (5.5 - 7), than she should have a normal healthy calf - but, if your area is Se deficient, I would definately have BoSe for the calf (must be purchased thru vet) and it would be a good idea to give it to the dam NOW prior to calving (although MuSe is better for the dam - more concentrated dosage). A&D & iodine naval.

Most of the cattle in my area don't know what mineral is. (sad). Rather than mess with her at this late date I'd probably just encourage you to keep a close eye on her until she goes into labor and then be just be on standby but not close enough to bother her. Bet she has that baby.

Question.... what about all the cows out on open range that calve and the calves don't get their naval dipped? I'm not so sure when my cow calves that I'm going to be able to get near that baby... thanks for anyone who will elaborate on dipping the naval.

I've never dipped a navel, but they all calve out in the pasture on grass. That's the difference. Heck, just the other day I had one calve in hard, freezing rain that lasted 24 hours and followed by 7" of snow. Thought for sure I'd lose that one, but I let Mother Nature take it's course. Mother has a healthy calf and somehow brought it across a 6'x6' wide and deep creek within 12 hours after calving. I'm still amazed and am not sure how she did it. I tried to get across to the pair, but fell in chest deep in freezing water, had to get back to the house quickly.

Wisteria Farms":zw6mpktk said:
Question.... what about all the cows out on open range that calve and the calves don't get their naval dipped? I'm not so sure when my cow calves that I'm going to be able to get near that baby... thanks for anyone who will elaborate on dipping the naval.

They are not exposed to as many pathogens as in a corral-type calving situation.