What possible breed is this cow?

Help Support CattleToday:

Rosielou

Reaction score
A year or so ago, I purchased a cow at our local auction with a calf on her. She's a nice sized cow, bred back a couple months. Calf was the spitting image of her, but we sold him off.

With the calf she calved that she was bred back to, it is the spitting image of her as well. Except this time it's a heifer and is decently built and fair tempered. But when bred to our angus bull, the calf is black and a poor build, which I'm not sure if it's just that she only produces good calves not that often or if it's just a coincidence because we've only had her through 3 calves and the heifer turned out lovely.

The issue is, I can't figure out what breed they are. Usually, I'm fairly decent at the matter, but these guys have me stumped. They look sort of like a mixed American White Park, however they have alot of black on them and that breed is uncommon in my area. I cannot find any other breed they would be, however, unless they're just some mutts with beautiful coloring.

This year, my grandfather purchased a bred heifer with the same type of markings as my other two, but a little less black and a slightly different build. She's a bit more high strung, but I take it this is just her personality as she seems to calm down the longer she stays with us. She calved a silvery chocolate calf, but she was a first timer and it somehow ended up in the water and died shortly after we found it(the months she had been bred was wrong when we bought her and we had no due date)

But anyway, I have some pictures of the cow and heifer, but not the newest addition because she likes her distance.

The cow's last heifer
cow17.jpg

cow13.jpg

The cow, whom I've fondly named Black Frosting haha. She stays rather fat, I know, too fat - if I'm wrong correct me. I just don't have the heart to cull her because she's a lovely cow.
cow21.jpg

cow19.jpg

cow25.jpg

cow27.jpg

cow29.jpg

cow30.jpg

cow31.jpg

But anyway, I would really appreciate it if somebody had any idea what breed these girls were, because it's driving me crazy. I know it's a far shot trying to figure out the breed from pictures, but I figured, hey, why not try it? I also apologize if this belongs somewhere else, but I couldn't find any other board it might possibly could've qualified under.
thank you all in advance x

I'm not 100% sure but i think thats got some longhorn crossed in. what sale did you buy her at i may know where she came from.

Here's a bw heifer I have, her sister was marked a lot like your cow. Around here, there are a lot of big bodied LH crosses like though.
20120215180332.jpg

Thanks all of you, it's very helpful :) I've been struggling trying to figure out what breed she is for a couple years since I bought her. And as cowwrangler suggested, Speckle Park, I've read up on the breed now and I'm sort of leaning towards that, but I'm still very, very unsure.

denvermartinfarms- I bought her in Arkansas in a small town called Glenwood. It's unlikely that you guys have heard of it, but alot of folks come up here from Oklahoma and Texas to buy hay during the winter and droughts or feedlot stock. We sometimes sell hay to them now since my grandfather's sold off all of his herd but about 5.

Heath- She does look alot like mine, minus the black around the face, though.

I now have a picture of the second cow that I've bought that looks similar to the other two. She's 3 this year.
2012-05-30001002.jpg

Again, I really appreciate how helpful and friendly you guys are on this forum

I swear I saw a picture of that cow in some cave paintings I was looking at.. that one had long horns,tho.. She's really pretty.

TexasBred":2nn2u7j6 said:
I don't see any typical longhorn characteristics other than the color.
Exactly my thoughts. Too much meat for longhorn in the wood pile

Ok not what i was thinking i know someone that sold some cows like that about a year ago at searcy. but yes i have been to glenwood. i also am leaning less toward longhorn the more i look at her like dun said about her shape.

I really don't think she's got longhorn in her. Too beefy...

Possibilities I've come up with are:

Speckle Park
British White x Angus
American White Park x Angus

Latest posts