What makes a bull calf a bull?

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
How young can you look at a calf and see it is bull quality? What are the kind of things you look for? Is pedigree much of a part?

Thanks,
Alan

Alan I think the pedigree is very important, but therein lies the danger of making sentimental decisions, because "with his pedigree he is bound to be good" In reality very few bull calves can really make an improvement to the general breed and thus should be allowed to multiply their genes.

On a more practical note, at two months old a bullcalf looks very similar to what he will look like at two years old. Obviously secondary sex characteristics still need to develope and he could develope various problems in the remaining 22 months, but the two month rule will be a very good indication of potential. Just don't look at 5 months old, otherwise you will cull everyone ;-)

I cull at birth, those that were too large, no pigment, bad disposition on dam, etc. At weaning the bottom gets culled again and then after puberty for bad scrotums, poor heads, disposition, etc. The best will be sold at a production sale and the few others directly off the farm for those "I need a bull yesterday" cases.

*Cowgirl*":2ebjn9sk said:
pedigree is a major factor.

Why do you consider pedigree to be a 'major factor'? A bad bull is a bad bull, regardless of his bloodlines or pedigree.

General comments on keeping a bull - In addition to what has already been mentioned here, we also took into account his fathers performance, his mother's performance, and temperament.

gberry":3bv0jlfq said:
Isn't father's performance and mother's performance the same as pedigree?

As far as bloodlines - yes. As far as performance - no. There will always be those cows and bulls that, for whatever reason, outperform the rest of the herd, and that is one of the things we looked for.

Alan":2pyrts6v said:
How young can you look at a calf and see it is bull quality? What are the kind of things you look for? Is pedigree much of a part?

Thanks,
Alan

We don't make decisions until the bulls are at least yearlings and probably have been through a performance testing program. We look for a sound, fertile bull that has good growth and gain. Pedigree is important because it is an indicator of what you can expect from the bull in growth and performance.

A true herd bull has to pass at several points in his life. The difference between him being a $2000 and a $20,000 bullis how he passes each of these phases.
Low birthweight
good growth through weaning
excells on test
scans good
a herd bull needs to freeze semen and it past post thaw.
He needs to not fall apart in his first breeding season.
and finally, his calves need to come out like him or better. A great bull sires calves better than he is.

KNERSIE":x6qw25ta said:
On a more practical note, at two months old a bullcalf looks very similar to what he will look like at two years old.

I'm assuming at two months the calf will not show signs of body depth. I'm under the impression the depth will come with maturity and is a factor on a later cull.

Thanks,
Alan

actually the calf at 2 months is very much in the same proportion as a two year old bull. They usually go through the leggy stage a bit later.

but, remember that I said it will give you an indication of potential, don't base your selection decisions on a two month old calf.

Take a few photos of your 2 month old calves and compare them 22 months later to the animal and you'll be surprized at the similarity.

Alan":1lcsnd7p said:

Thanks,
Alan

Excellent question Alan. A huge number of breeders (and buyers) believe if it has papers it is a bull.

In my opinion less than 10% of animals with decent parentage deserve to keep their nuts and gain a registration - or become a breeder.

Unfortunately not many others agree.

In all actuality I also believe the same low percentage can be applied to heifers with regards to registration and breeding - but that is another topic.

I will enjoy reading the responses.

Bez>

Many of the best bulls in North America have no registered pedigree.

They prove their worth every day producing growthy healthy calves and worthy replacements.

No breed associations, computer olympics or other hype.

Latest posts