What Mad Cow maketh, the Mad Cow may taketh away

Help Support CattleToday:

ManyHorses

Reaction score
Here's a situation that I have to comment on: It is all about the price differential between Choice and Select boxed beef prices. Choice and Select boxed beef prices had nearly assumed parity as the high price of beef on retail grocers shelves is obviously meeting resistance by consumers. As a result the retail meat buyers are cutting back on featuring Choice cuts in favor or enticing consumers to buy lesser priced Select cuts. From the consumer standpoint it has become a choice of either opting to buy the lower priced Select cuts or switching to an alternative meat choice such as poultry or pork - Choice cuts are less of a consideration.

From a producers standpoint maybe this situation should give some thought as to the profitability of grade 4-5 cattle. It would seem counterproductive to suffer the additional cost of production to achieve grade 4-5 when consumers are balking at the paying the price.

Yesterday Choice box prices were only able to hold steady at $145 while the Select cuts lost a dollar to $142, still leaving the spread at only $3. High grade producers should be finding they are beginning to receive negative margins at current price structure, and it may get worse. With Choice cattle failing to deliver a premium and grades 4-5 cattle severely discounted, it appears a near-term market top is in place.

Of course this should only be considered the symptom when considered in the larger scope of things, mainly the scheduled Canadian border reopening on March 7th. Coupled with higher feed grain prices, lower consumer demand, an influx of Canadian cattle may have considerable influence on domestic cattle prices.

Remember: What all this boils down to is what the Mad Cow maketh, the Mad Cow may taketh away - so just be careful on getting locked in on these spring feeder prices.

Richard

ManyHorses":37d3rlae said:
Here's a situation that I have to comment on: It is all about the price differential between Choice and Select boxed beef prices. Choice and Select boxed beef prices had nearly assumed parity as the high price of beef on retail grocers shelves is obviously meeting resistance by consumers. As a result the retail meat buyers are cutting back on featuring Choice cuts in favor or enticing consumers to buy lesser priced Select cuts. From the consumer standpoint it has become a choice of either opting to buy the lower priced Select cuts or switching to an alternative meat choice such as poultry or pork - Choice cuts are less of a consideration.

From a producers standpoint maybe this situation should give some thought as to the profitability of grade 4-5 cattle. It would seem counterproductive to suffer the additional cost of production to achieve grade 4-5 when consumers are balking at the paying the price.

Yesterday Choice box prices were only able to hold steady at $145 while the Select cuts lost a dollar to $142, still leaving the spread at only $3. High grade producers should be finding they are beginning to receive negative margins at current price structure, and it may get worse. With Choice cattle failing to deliver a premium and grades 4-5 cattle severely discounted, it appears a near-term market top is in place.

Of course this should only be considered the symptom when considered in the larger scope of things, mainly the scheduled Canadian border reopening on March 7th. Coupled with higher feed grain prices, lower consumer demand, an influx of Canadian cattle may have considerable influence on domestic cattle prices.

Remember: What all this boils down to is what the Mad Cow maketh, the Mad Cow may taketh away - so just be careful on getting locked in on these spring feeder prices.

Richard
Richard, how can someone with as much wisdom as you evaluate the choice select spread and not conclude that the Japan border closure is responsible. Not the Canadian.

Ollie,

Yes the Japanese situation does bear some responsibilty, but resolution is still a long ways off, and will impact cattle prices on the more deferred months. Whereas reopening the Canadian border offers the most immediate consideration, and will more impact cattle prices on the near months.

Richard

The Canadian border opening will have more impact on the goat meat market than the choice select spread. The choice select spread is driven by supply and demand. The demand is what it was before the bse outbreak. The supply has increased in the U.S. because the demand from Japan has stopped. The Canadians will have similiar amounts of choice / select cattle as we have been processing. The choice select spread will remain the same as it is now unless the Japanese border opens. The Canadian border opening will have little or no affect on the price of U.S. beef. If you disagree tell us what the price of fats will be June 1.

reopening the Canadian border offers the most immediate consideration, and will more impact cattle prices on the near months.

I think you are way off base. Canada only supplied approx 6% of the US beef when the border was open. Since then we are running at almost 4% in boxed beef. How can two percent be affecting the market that much especially when imports of beef into the US have actually increased in the last two years. If price is dropping, it is more likely demand based caused by the fading of the Atkins diet fad and the scare tactics of R-CALF.

Cattle Rack Rancher":3e8lh8b8 said:
reopening the Canadian border offers the most immediate consideration, and will more impact cattle prices on the near months.

it is more likely demand based caused by the fading of the Atkins diet fad and the scare tactics of R-CALF.
That is just as wrong CRR.

Ollie,

Yes the Choice/Select spread is driven by current supply and demand... that was precisely my point.

If the Japanese market were to open up I would expect the Choice/Select spread to widen because the Japanese market demands higher quality cuts of beef... but is that to say that Choice will demand a premium or Select will suffer a discount, or some combination??

I wish I knew what the June 1st fats will be...

Richard

PS....By the way, what part of the country are you from?

I just checked the usda and the latest WEEK available shows 5,706 metric TONS of beef coming in from Canada. I would say the actual lbs. of Canadian beef will not change. The form that it crosses the border could.
your friend
Mike

ManyHorses":1yrbzlxo said:

whats that got to do with us producers. what are you saying the producer should do with this info

lower consumer demand, an influx of Canadian cattle may have considerable influence on domestic cattle prices.

JUST FOR CLARIFICATION: As it was told by the NCBA's President Elect at the NC Cattlemen's Conference this past weekend, the demand for beef has risen by 25% since 1998. The goal was 6% over this span of years. And when talking about prices, why not look at the Futures Markets! Feeder cattle are floating from $98-100, and have been for the last two months. Fats show that they might drop somewhat, but then the prices start going right back up. With beef production at one of its all time lows in the US, we are doing alright with the product we have. Japan is watching us as we continue our trades with Canada, and I believe that every minute we delay the border opening with Canada is just another minute Japan will delay our trades.

Fellars your as bullish as I am about the market . Buying calls. Now that is what I am talking about.

Buying calls in this kind of market atmosphere is highly speculative and would not serve to manage either the risk you currently have, or the risk your herds are growing into in terms of tonnage. In fact it would only increase your risk.

Buying an March 100 put for $750 would give you protection on 50,000lbs of feeder cattle for the next 44 days. Very cheap insurance and your total risk is limited to the $750 premium you paid.

Still better would be to Buy an April 100 put for $750 and sell two April 94 for $300 each. This makes your cost of entry only $150 plus commissions. Again this would give you 50,000lbs of protection for the next 44 days. Your risk would be if the market broke below 94.

This trade is very similar to the March 102/97 trade I posted back on December 27th. It is still a good trade today and I continue to carry it today in my own portfolio with a $612 profit as of todays close... I still have another $600 in premiums due to me... and I still have good profit potential on the 102 put should the market trend to the downside.

This trade is not about speculation, it is about risk managagment. The bottom line is to talk to a good broker who specializes in cattle.

Richard

ManyHorses":f1gfnmvk said:
Buying calls in this kind of market atmosphere is highly speculative and would not serve to manage either the risk you currently have, or the risk your herds are growing into in terms of tonnage. In fact it would only increase your risk.
Richard , as you know it would also increase your potential for reward.

brokenmouth":20ln0ye6 said:
ManyHorses":20ln0ye6 said:

whats that got to do with us producers. what are you saying the producer should do with this info

still waiting on answers

brokenmouth":ivrzfhyq said:
brokenmouth":ivrzfhyq said:
ManyHorses":ivrzfhyq said:

still waiting on answers

manyhorses shooteth off mouth then many horses fadeth away

Latest posts