What kind?

Help Support CattleToday:

flaboy+

Reaction score
So what are you guys using for fertilizer? How much you putting out? I am going to use 30-8-4 this year. I used 16-8-6 last year but was not really too pleased. I am going back to the higher AN to see if I can get it to pop. Problem is no rain down here in a long time. I keep watching for a good opportunity. I am putting out 300lbs to the acre this spring also. This is on Bahia fields.

I still have ahard time understanding the use of bulk fixed number fertilizer combiations. Maybe our place is the oddity, but our analysis on several fields ran from no n to 30, 10 to 60 p and none to 106 k. Matching the fertilizer to the requirements makes more sense to me then dumping extra fertilizer (money) on afield that doesn;t need it.

dun

dun":15vrxhbw said:
I still have ahard time understanding the use of bulk fixed number fertilizer combiations. Maybe our place is the oddity, but our analysis on several fields ran from no n to 30, 10 to 60 p and none to 106 k. Matching the fertilizer to the requirements makes more sense to me then dumping extra fertilizer (money) on afield that doesn;t need it.

dun

amen. i think very well said.

To a certain degree I agree with Dun. However, if the blend meets the needs of the lowest field and doesn't give extra N it will work. Generally speaking the P and K aren't going to leave and you will be able to apply less of those nutrients next time. But applying N in excess of requirement is throwing money away.
Dave

dun":qyaviyen said:

dun

Hey Dun, I went the analysis route several times and put out what the ag agent said after analyzing my soil. My fields produced about half as much hay as they used to. I went over what they said last year moving up to 16-8-6 from their recommended 10-10-10. I gave up on them and I am going back to what used to work for me so I can get two cuttings again.

I put out my potash in the fall on hayfields at a rate of 100 lbs. for every ton of hay harvested that year. No Phosphate is needed here because through the years the fields had been fertilized with a 13-13-13 blend. A huge phosphorus buildup is worse than not fertilizing at all. It looks like a parking lot.

In the spring and summer I put out nitrogen as needed for the amount of hay needed. I have gotten up to 5 cuttings of hay per year when the rains came at optimum times.

MikeC":1hm605if said:
I put out my potash in the fall on hayfields at a rate of 100 lbs. for every ton of hay harvested that year. No Phosphate is needed here because through the years the fields had been fertilized with a 13-13-13 blend. A huge phosphorus buildup is worse than not fertilizing at all. It looks like a parking lot.

In the spring and summer I put out nitrogen as needed for the amount of hay needed. I have gotten up to 5 cuttings of hay per year when the rains came at optimum times.
is that on coastal or bahia

ALACOWMAN":6h6fzmpg said:
MikeC":6h6fzmpg said:

is that on coastal or bahia

Coastal

MikeC":1jhigicr said:

Mike, how much N do you usually put per acre? I limed last fall, and hit the pastures with 10-20-10, and plan to just hit it with N this spring.(this according to soil test). :cboy:

flaboy+":2rra4nz1 said:
dun":2rra4nz1 said:

dun

Hey Dun, I went the analysis route several times and put out what the ag agent said after analyzing my soil. My fields produced about half as much hay as they used to. I went over what they said last year moving up to 16-8-6 from their recommended 10-10-10. I gave up on them and I am going back to what used to work for me so I can get two cuttings again.

Don't know how far North you are but the recomendation for grazed bahia fields is 60 lbs of N per acre put out once in the Spring. That is from about Orlando South. No P or K required. Different formula for other grasses and the Northern part of the state. I put that recommendation to the test after checking my PH and ended up with kneehigh dark green bahia while it was being grazed. Choked out all other species. Since I wasn't looking for P or K, I got a batch of pure Urea which I believe was about 33% N. But if you go that route make sure you're gonna get a rain shortly after application. I was told Urea was volatile and would dissipate if not absorbed within a few days.

MikeC":o6vw83c9 said:

Mike, I worked with my Extension agent and SFASU's ag dept on a potassium fertility sudy on coastal several years back. We got the most production when we put 80 units of potassium on for every cutting. All plots got 100 units of N. Phosphorus was applied per test. Putting all the K out in fall or early spring had luxury consumption ( K levels in first cutting was way high). Showed deficiency in late summer.

D.R. Cattle":sgxc51tm said:
Don't know how far North you are but the recomendation for grazed bahia fields is 60 lbs of N per acre put out once in the Spring. That is from about Orlando South. No P or K required. Different formula for other grasses and the Northern part of the state. I put that recommendation to the test after checking my PH and ended up with kneehigh dark green bahia while it was being grazed. Choked out all other species. Since I wasn't looking for P or K, I got a batch of pure Urea which I believe was about 33% N. But if you go that route make sure you're gonna get a rain shortly after application. I was told Urea was volatile and would dissipate if not absorbed within a few days.

I did 200lbs/acre last year to no avail but not pure N. This was about 80lbs more per acre than the Ag agent said to use. I talked to the sod farmer down the street and he said I am wasting my time and money if I don't hit it with 300lbs of 30N. I baled some of his fields and they were thick and green so I am going with what he says this time.

You are right D.R. I don't need the P or K.

I plan to usr 21-0-21 this spring at 400 pounds to the acre on hay (coastal / bahia mixed.) Then mid season I will add as needed for the yeald I need.
The pasture will get just a shot of N at about 60 units to the acre.

BC":1n414q1l said:
MikeC":1n414q1l said:

Mike, I worked with my Extension agent and SFASU's ag dept on a potassium fertility sudy on coastal several years back. We got the most production when we put 80 units of potassium on for every cutting. All plots got 100 units of N. Phosphorus was applied per test. Putting all the K out in fall or early spring had luxury consumption ( K levels in first cutting was way high). Showed deficiency in late summer.

Thanks. I'll keep that in mind. Makes sense.

SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GRE":299xtphg said:
MikeC":299xtphg said:

Mike, how much N do you usually put per acre? I limed last fall, and hit the pastures with 10-20-10, and plan to just hit it with N this spring.(this according to soil test). :cboy:

200 lbs of 33% - would be just above 60 units.

Latest posts