What kind should I get?

Help Support CattleToday:

Our vet tech researched all types of cattle dogs before settling on an English Shepherd. Could not find one in Mn ~ had to go to Iowa, but they are very excited to begin working with it. I have an Aussie, she will be 2 in Nov. The older she gets, the better she gets with cattle. At first I thought she would not work them and was going to give up, but kept trying. She improves everytime she's in the pasture and loves doing it. She is also an excellent family dog. We have an 8 month old hair/ear pulling grand daughter and Ruby is real good with her.

ACD's not a good family dog??? We have had ACD's my whole life and with the proper training as a pup they are the BEST family dogs you could have. People need to realize that dogs just like kids need to have boundries set for them and this HAS to start as a pup. My daughter got her first ACD when she was 9 (actually the dog was supposed to be mine, but Brit fed Lila(the dog) french fries on the way home and they have been best buddies ever since.

Also realize that ACD's and Aussies are stock dogs, so nipping is in their blood, you will never be able to train it out of them completly (and why would you want to)? But you can train them when it is appropriate and when it is not. If you do not want a dog that is going to herd your kids, cats, ducks you or what ever then do not get a dog bred to work stock. Really research the breed, spend some time with people that have the breed and learn if that breed will work for you. (I did this with poodles and found out that I do not like poodles, and I was sooo ready to just go out and buy one).

Good luck with your decision.

considering i have 7 dogs and 6 are just pets i have good perspective on my new acd. they are smart as any dog i have ever had. learn very quick. dogs like people are different but have some common traits. lazy dogs work well for house dogs. i cannot imagien having an acd living inside without a kennel. my 2 cents - smart good working dogs, loyal and need to work. have fun either way.

usernametaken":24neujfl said:
On double coated dogs, please think twice about shaving them. The undercoat not only does a great job keeping them warm in the winter, but works the opposite, keeping them cool in the summer.

Thank you, usernametaken. :)

When the coat is shaved, you sort of mess with the ecosystem.

If it is really hot, just keep a baby pool of water for them to jump in and cool off, if there is not access to a creek or pond.

Stock tanks also work very well, under most conditions.

Well, I hope this doesn't win me any enemies here but...
my experience with Australian Shephards has not been good. Its probably a case of the owner not choosing wisely....

Our horse trainer/friend was breaking our young arabian mare for my daughter. Every time I would watch him work her in the round pen or in the arena that Aussie would start "herding" her and nipping at her tail. Can't tell you how many times I just wanted Moony to plant a hoof between his eyes. But, this was their pet and aside from saying "Grady NO!" did nothing. The last straw was when my daughter actually got on Moony and that dog came out...we haven't been back and rarely talk to them any more. They wound up putting the dog down due to his aggressiveness.. he had begun nipping at people. Maybe just a bad apple in the bunch - but its made me not care for the breed.

Wisteria Farms":3vgkeqzs said:
my experience with Australian Shephards has not been good. Its probably a case of the owner not choosing wisely....

Our horse trainer/friend was breaking our young arabian mare for my daughter. Every time I would watch him work her in the round pen or in the arena that Aussie would start "herding" her and nipping at her tail. Can't tell you how many times I just wanted Moony to plant a hoof between his eyes. But, this was their pet and aside from saying "Grady NO!" did nothing. The last straw was when my daughter actually got on Moony and that dog came out...we haven't been back and rarely talk to them any more. They wound up putting the dog down due to his aggressiveness.. he had begun nipping at people. Maybe just a bad apple in the bunch - but its made me not care for the breed.

Like they say in cattle, there is as much variability within the breed as outside of the breed. However, sounds like this one just had some clueless owners. The dog should have had his behavior stopped before it escalated. That's usually more the owner's fault than the dogs, imo. Most dogs are easily taught and more than one dog that should have been ok has been put down because of the owner's unwillingness to discipline, laziness or just cluelessness.

Wisteria Farms":1khqlkqa said:

Not the dogs fault at all, pathetic owners. It's good you stopped, as I wouldn't trust anyone who couldn't teach a dog basic discipline and yet claims to be able to train horses, but that's just me.

i started with dogs just a short time ago and a good dog makes the others better. I have a catahoula and she is great. loyal and great on cows. i cannot imagine her being a good house dog however since she has so much energy. i have a catahoula, aust cattle dog and border collie. all are great dogs and if i had to pick i do like my catahoula the best.

Latest posts