What kind of tractor?

Help Support CattleToday:

Silver is dead on with his comments. Dealer support means a bunch. We bought a Kubota MX5200 and we love it. I priced out Deere, NH, and Massey. Kubota beat them all and it's been a great tractor so far (250hrs)

My vote would be massey ferguson. I bought a new 4608 4wd with a fel. Just went over 500 hours without a problem. It doesn't have a cab, but as you stated it would be a pain getting in and out with a cab, plus I don't like the glare when I stack hay in the shed.

Hi! I just purchased a 2020 Kubota L4701w /front loader & 4x4. It does everything i need it to do. I looked at John Deere, and Massy Ferguson but there were more money. I have had it sence October and I am very satisfied so far. Good luck!

Kubota M6800. Cab and loader. This tractor does everything I need and is very reliable.

Thought JD was lowest total cost? Why Kubota?
John Deere doesn't really shine until you get over 75hp and into the M series or 5-25 series in my opinion. For balance and usability in a loader tractor the M6800/8200 and M 7040/8540 were hard to beat for the money. I am not crazy about Kubotas EPA setup and is the only reason I would be leery of a new one. Even their bigger L series were pretty handy depending on exactly what your looking to use it for. JMO

Couple older tractors can do more, and are cheaper than a single new tractor. Just throwing that out there.
That's why all my tractors are early 80's units. Simple, and if something does break on them, I can still typically fix it myself. No electronics to give me nightmares! And HP rating for HP rating, they'll get more done than a new one will, IMO. More iron in the bones of the rig, not getting all it's needed weight from a stack hanging from a rack somewhere. And they all still have an actual STEEL hood on 'em that's still as good as the day it left the factory... not all faded and cracked and .... well, GONE, in alot of cases. I DO wish I had a front assist unit though. :cool:

I have but they are for the high rollers up north!

They are great tractors too but I move mine on a trailer a lot so the larger frame is nice in the field but murder when you move them. I would love to have a 125hp 6 or 7 series to pretend that I am big time on but my wife I mean my conscience keeps reminding me I am not.

I have but they are for the high rollers up north!

They are great tractors too but I move mine on a trailer a lot so the larger frame is nice in the field but murder when you move them. I would love to have a 125hp 6 or 7 series to pretend that I am big time on but my wife I mean my conscience keeps reminding me I am not.

We have a JD Dealer 4 miles away, kind of hard to pick a different color with service that close.
Just bought a 5425 this summer. It does everything I need it to; hauling rnd bales, cleaning barns, haying cows, pulling silage wagons to the bunker, loading silage.

IMG_20200615_072806.jpg

We have a JD Dealer 4 miles away, kind of hard to pick a different color with service that close.
Just bought a 5425 this summer. It does everything I need it to; hauling rnd bales, cleaning barns, haying cows, pulling silage wagons to the bunker, loading silage.

View attachment 1120
Those are really handy sized tractors, plenty of HP for their size. Wife's father just bought a 5101E, I feel like I'm driving a Tonka toy using it but in reality it'll do everything he needs and then some. I wouldn't want it in front of a 6' diameter roll baler, but think it'd be a good match for a 5' model.

Your best bet if your not brand loyal pick the dealer with the best service. The end of the day there all junk when they break and there all better than others when there working properly. Just my two cents

Those are really handy sized tractors, plenty of HP for their size. Wife's father just bought a 5101E, I feel like I'm driving a Tonka toy using it but in reality it'll do everything he needs and then some. I wouldn't want it in front of a 6' diameter roll baler, but think it'd be a good match for a 5' model.
It's not big enough for out rnd baler, but I ran a 12' hay conditioner (not a disk mower) this summer with no problems.
I make roughly 1,500lb round bales. When I haul hay out of the field I pull two hay racks with 6 bales each and carry one in the front of the tractor. Plenty of pull, can't stop on a dime. Overall it's a great chore tractor.

I have probably mentioned this before but AFTER I sell mine nobody should ever buy a 5325 JD. 54 and up are as good a tractor as you can own but run from anything that has the 5 cyl. Deere motor. Got a nice one that is for sale if your looking!

New you get all the EPA added features that is not if but when they will fail, cost money and down time. I would look around a couple months and try to find a Tier 2 or earlier tractor and if not I would look at my local dealerships. New I like Kubota's and John Deere's, but the others maybe just as good.

Last edited:
I looked at JD lease returns last night. There was a big jump up in prices between E and M series. How long and hard to you have to use them to make that pay?

I looked at JD lease returns last night. There was a big jump up in prices between E and M series. How long and hard to you have to use them to make that pay?
We've got the 2 es 5085 and 5100
The 85 is at 2700 ~ hours in three years. It spent a good bit of it's first year on a fence crew. Never seen a bit of real trouble, but lots of little electric Gremlins. Mostly gauges and lights, a couple of sensor's, seeing the same trend on the 5100 at 150.

Seems like anything I buy has electric Gremlins though

My 5075e caught on fire at about 3400 hours. I looked on Tractor house and could not find one with that many hours. Many were a couple years old and had 300 to 500 hours on them. Used by weekend warriors apparently.

There was a post a couple years ago that high rpm turbo 3 cylinder e engines are worn out at 5000 hours.

Has anyone here worn out an M series?

Last edited:
1750 hrs. on my 5100m, like new so far.

I am not about to buy a tractor only to turn around and tell my wife I did it because I thought she needed a bigger seat! I think your trying to get me killed Steve!

1750 hrs. on my 5100m, like new so far.

I am not about to buy a tractor only to turn around and tell my wife I did it because I thought she needed a bigger seat! I think your trying to get me killed Steve!
Just trying to help... I am that kind of guy.

I don't think there are many Es, nor Ms, out there with a lot of hours on them.

Seems like you want to buy a low hours lease return, or an out of warranty low hours unit, and then put 500 hours per year on it, before reselling it after a couple years?

Last edited:

Latest posts