What kind of Snake?

Help Support CattleToday:

My book would be mighty thin. Not an expert by any means(unless you're talking about the idiot part). I'm a slow learner. I blame it on my a.d.d., dyslexia, terrets, and the fact that I come from a broken home.

lol. i think we've strayed off the topic slightly. whatever you call it, the snake is now dead and was never poisonous. that should count for something.

It is a Gray Rat Snake. According to my snake book, the ones in Texas have a yellow and gray coloring with brown to blackish markings with orange sometimes showing up between the scales. It says this is the coloring in those found in Texas and Louisana. The picture in my snake book is almost identical to your snake. The pattern is the same. He is a good snake and I would have put him in a feed sack and carried him to the barn. He will put a hurtin' on the mice and rats since it says he is a strong constrictor. The only two poisonous snakes here in my area are Copperheads and Water Moccosins. Copperheads will make you sick if they bite, or will make you swell up, but won't kill you. The Water Moccosins have a poison that will make your involuntary muscles stop which includes your heart and lungs. It warns not to mess around if one of these bites you because these can kill you. Either one of these two, I will gladly cut it's head off. All the rest can hang around.

Uh-oh!!! I didn't read all the pages. I didn't realize an argument could have been started on this subject. :roll: In the article I posted before, it says Texas Rat Snake is also called "Chicken Snake." Kind of like the Water Moccosin. It is also called Cotton Mouth. It doesn't matter what we call it. He was a good snake. He leaves his wife and children, and his mother. His father was deceased. He was employed at the farm as an exterminator, and died while doing his duties. May he rest in peace! Amen

Chuckie - I think we have a winner, that picture does look just like it. It was a tragic farming accident, maybe I should file a claim, I hope he had his life insurance policy paid up........

sidney411":blxi9o3w said:
Chuckie - I think we have a winner, that picture does look just like it. It was a tragic farming accident, maybe I should file a claim, I hope he had his life insurance policy paid up........
Sidney,
Just try to get it out of your mind. Try not to dwell on the tragic.
Think of all the beautiful things in life and you will feel better.

Thanks Ryder - I think I will drown my tears in a bottle of Creme Soda, looking through the amber ale will make all things bad - kinda frothy I guess ;-) :p

Latest posts