What kind of herd do you run, and why?

Help Support CattleToday:

dcarp":3hblrr8g said:
Brangus cows with a registered Brangus bull. Sale barn loves black and I like big cows. Brangus are good moms. Don't have to worry about coyotes, dogs or other predators, the herd works together to chase them. I'll 2nd the "I like eared cattle." :D

Same here about Brangus.

Beefmasters here. Why, you ask? When I started fooling with cattle, I began to notice the love many in the south have for F1 Tigerstripes. I wanted an animal with that blend, but I also wanted to be able to trace the lineage of the animal. That led me to two breeds…Braford and Beefmaster. I couldn't really find much about Brafords. When I looked up Beefmasters, I read how the breed was founded and Tom Lasater's philosophy for developing them. I read about F1 Tigers having a reputation of checking for loose change in the back pockets of ranchers. I read about the gentle and easy going disposition of Beefmasters. I decided I wanted Beefmasters. After choosing Beefmasters, a good friend helped educate me on the variation within the breed. I decided that I like the breeding and cattle of those who had stuck closely to philosophy and breeding of the foundation Lasater herd. That's how I got here today.

I have a mixed up little herd. I have 2 Longhorns, 1 JerseyX, and 1 little crossbred cow. This group of cows is what I put together as a college student with limited funds, but they have served me well. In the past, I have used a Saler bull, black Angus, Hereford, and Charolais. The best calves I raised were out of the Charolais, but he got to visiting too often, so he grew wheels. I have a young Saler bull running with them right now, but I am in search of a good, young Charolais bull. I am planning to keep some of the heifers to grow my herd back up. The cows are starting to get some age on them now that I think about it. The youngest cow has to be at least 5.
As is obvious, my herd is a hobby that gives me enjoyment. I don't make a lot but do make a little extra each year from them.

I sold my commercial herd and bought some purebred Angus with (mostly) heifers at their sides. Artificial insemination the first year to increase the herd and replace any of the cows I decided to sell. Purchased two Angus bulls with the same goal and am now satisfied with the size of my relatively small herd. Now that I am ready to breed for the market, I am looking at either a non-polled Hereford, a SimAngus or a Charolais. Anyone have recommendations on either of these three or perhaps another that I might have overlooked, your input is welcome. Thanks!

BadMoonRising":1j5btl7c said:
I sold my commercial herd and bought some purebred Angus with (mostly) heifers at their sides. Artificial insemination the first year to increase the herd and replace any of the cows I decided to sell. Purchased two Angus bulls with the same goal and am now satisfied with the size of my relatively small herd. Now that I am ready to breed for the market, I am looking at either a non-polled Hereford, a SimAngus or a Charolais. Anyone have recommendations on either of these three or perhaps another that I might have overlooked, your input is welcome. Thanks!
I would probly go with a good horned Hereford bull on them and try to keep as many replacement quality hfrs out of them as possible them breed those hfrs back to a good brangus bull

Angus Cowman":2g0ty7bg said:
BadMoonRising":2g0ty7bg said:
I would probly go with a good horned Hereford bull on them and try to keep as many replacement quality hfrs out of them as possible them breed those hfrs back to a good brangus bull

Good answer.

Angus Cowman":2i8apiv5 said:
BadMoonRising":2i8apiv5 said:

Red of black herefords?? :hide: :lol: :lol:

Angus Cowman":l01wr62n said:
TexasBred":l01wr62n said:
Red of black herefords?? :hide: :lol: :lol:
TB
There always has to be one in the crowd
And HE77 NO NOT NO DAM IMAGINARY BLACK HEREFORDS
ANYBODY THAT RECOGNIZES BLACK HEREFORDS PROBLY VOTED FOR OBUMMER ALSO
:mrgreen: :lol2: :lol2: Just couldn't resist.

Like most I'm reading running alot of blacks. Nothing registered here. I am moving toward charlois crosses but taking me a while. My dad passed and I bought the farm with no animals to help pay bills so like many bought what I could on the cheap, now moving to what I want. My plan is for charlois crosses running balancer bulls and a charlois(for replacement heifers). My experience is that the black tends to override the charlois, or at least smoke colored.
Why I choose Charlois? Big frame cows tend to have fewer calving troubles, milk good, good disposition(i love Bradford and brangus but tend to get some attitudes). Many times my charlois's sell just as good as my blacks, besides I like more than one color.lol

Very interesting that you runs Charolais cows as a commercial cow instead of the other way (Charolais bulls on commercial cows). Its rare for a commercial person to runs straight char cows around here. There's a farm few miles from me that runs straight char cows with a Hereford bull but their cows are pretty big.

I can't say many of my herd would ever qualify as 'registered' or purebred. I like them for their frame size etc. Besides in my experience, the blacks tend to find shade in this Oklahoma heat when the lightened coloreds are out grazing ie making milk and adding pounds. I'm saying theres alot of charlois influence on mine

Our herd is mainly full blood black Galloway (NON BELTED).
Our main market is seedstock, semen,and embryos worldwide.
We raise Galloway because they work for us, rather than the other way around. We graze longer into our brutal winters than our neighbors other breeds, by about 3 months. We calve in below zero temps with out barns. In the hot humid summer our Galloway are out grazing while the other breeds are bunched up fighting flies. Galloway just do a lot of things right for us.

I guess, I'll add to this. All my females are Black/BWF till this year as I bought back a couple RWF bred heifers in last years group. All my first and second calvers are bred to Balancer bulls. Then as thrids and on they all get covered by Polled Hereford Bulls. Why: I really like the type of females that come from this system & cross. I get the CE where I'm comfortable with heifers then bump it up a fuzz on the next Balancer bull. Then I still get a little Gelford cross going on with the Hereford. I'll Throw in some pics. As I love to do! Enjoy! B&G
Heifer bull with coming firsts.

Second calvers with Balancer bull.

Mature cows with a Polled Hereford bull

I have transitioned to Beefmaster exclusively after running commercial cattle. This happened after buying a BM bull to put on the commercials. What got my attention was the temperament, flesh and bone he had that stood out in comparison to the commercials. Different level of quality than I was used to. Then a dispersing(retiring) local BM breeder really educated me on the philosophy and history of the breed along with a new market other than just salebarn. I started buying reg BM cows and finally sold out the commercials this year. My goal/challenge with these cattle are to produce hardy/quality cattle.

We have a registered Angus herd. We started our herd twenty five years ago. We didn't grow up on a farm but both of us had uncles that had cattle, my uncle Percy loved the Angus breed, so when we chose a breed to get involved with we chose Angus. Since starting we have learned why uncle Percy loved the Angus cow so much, an Angus cow has such strong maternal instincts, superior milking capabilities and high fertility rates. Angus females mature early and breed back quickly. There is a reason that so many breeds of other colors have changed to black!

:hide:
gizmom

gizmom":3guxryw4 said:
We have a registered Angus herd. We started our herd twenty five years ago. We didn't grow up on a farm but both of us had uncles that had cattle, my uncle Percy loved the Angus breed, so when we chose a breed to get involved with we chose Angus. Since starting we have learned why uncle Percy loved the Angus cow so much, an Angus cow has such strong maternal instincts, superior milking capabilities and high fertility rates. Angus females mature early and breed back quickly. There is a reason that so many breeds of other colors have changed to black!

:hide:
gizmom

:clap: that ought to get them stirred up :compute:

Latest posts